Taking pride in what you did at home or elsewhere? Want to recommend it to others? This is your chance!
By C-Chamberlain
I had this idea mid winter and finally got the designs kind of final in my head. I am going to make a PVC water park in my back yard for the kids. Nothing elaborat so maybe waterpark is too big of a word. Maybe monster sprinkler would be a better term for it. By getting 1/2" PVC (about $1 for a 10 foot stick), some elbows, tees and valves, I could rig up one cool play area for the kids. It would have a car wash type frame that had numerous 1/16" or smaller holes along the pipes where the water would spray from. The kids could use the valves to allow the water to come out of different places and maybe turn all off but one to get a monster spray from one area. Or let them turn them all at once and they can see why daddy yells when the toilets flush when he's taking a shower.
I think it would be a cool, cheap, fun project that even the kids would be able to help put together. I'll have to see if it can be hand tightened together so it can be taken down later or if PVC cement would be needed to keep the pressure from blowing the joints apart... I'll find out, eh?

Also, I thought this could be a cool mini car wash idea too. By making a frame that you drove through as you drove into the garage that sprayed your vehicle as you drove through to get rid of the daily grime. I think if you hooked the water supply up to a solenoid valve that was triggered by the door opener. The door opens, water comes on and you drive through the mini wash into your garage. You close the door, the water turns off. Also, by hooking the solenoid to a daily timer (vacation light timer), you could have it work only during the time of day you expect to arrive home. That way, the kids or anybody else in the house don't get drenched when they want to get their bikes out of the garage.

Let me know your thoughts guys...
By Rishi
In India we use PVC pipes with thicker walls. These can be threaded and used just like GI pipes. The idea is good. Such areas are fairly common in resorts. They are touted as 'Rain Dance' spaces. Choice of piped in music or create your own cacaphony.

With the kind of water shortage we have, I get the willies thinking of the volume of fresh water going down the drain. You can always add a rainwater harvesting system I suppose.

rishi
By C-Chamberlain
We live in a rural area and have a well that is (told to me by my father) replenished, to a point, by the water spilled on the ground. Rain, waste water or wasted water. Some spilled water evaporates but much is soaked into the ground where it slowly filters through the ground back to the water table where we suck it out of with the well pump. By the time it goes that far, about 200 feet, I'm told it is filtered by the ground and is good enough to drink again. So, I feel that we don't waste it, we recycle it... well, most of it.
By Rishi
C-Chamberlain wrote:We live in a rural area and have a well that is (told to me by my father) replenished, to a point, by the water spilled on the ground. Rain, waste water or wasted water. Some spilled water evaporates but much is soaked into the ground where it slowly filters through the ground back to the water table where we suck it out of with the well pump. By the time it goes that far, about 200 feet, I'm told it is filtered by the ground and is good enough to drink again. So, I feel that we don't waste it, we recycle it... well, most of it.
Dear Chris,
My apologies.I did not mean to say that you are wasting water. Only that the concept may not be applicable everywhere.

Incidentally, the situation is identical in my case even though I live in the middle of an 8 million population city.

All the points made by you on water recycling are well taken. Wish more here will follow you.

rishi
By C-Chamberlain
You sound like a good person Rishi. I was not offended by any means by your comments. I only wished to clarify so as to enlighten others. And you are correct, this is not an applicable idea for all areas. I just like to post my ideas here on the I-did-it-too area to see what others think and to get creative feedback on possible modifications. I have truely found that no idea is perfect from one person. It may be really good but only through collaboration with others will an idea become as close to perfect as possible.
By melzma
Wouldn't a pond pump help? Like what if you dug small trenches where you lay down the pipe. It wouldn't catch all the water but it might help to reduce flooding in your backyard.
By spuuut
Hi Chris, I did a similar thing but in the shower. It does get cold in Australia and I saw in Japan a shower where they had extra jets down each side of the shower recess. So I bought a 3 way splitter and connected 2 PVC 25mm pipes that aligned with the shower rose and dropped down to finish at knee height. On each of the pipes I put 5 spray jets from a garden watering kit and aimed them where the user stands.
It all worked well but it had to be glued together a few times as the startup pressure in the pipes blew a few jets off, but it worked and, more importantly, my wife liked it. Brett Curtis. spuuut@gmail.com
Anyone know how to post pics here so they can go with the explanations?
By spuuut
Surfcraft are a ripe area for design improvements, as most designs work and there is no definitive set of rules as to whats right or wrong.
Plus its all good fun taking a new design down to the surf on a sunny day and having a bit of fun on your own creations !!
If theres any surfers out there , give me an email if yr interested !
Brett.

elenos wrote:Ah, so you surf the waves rather than the internet!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]