The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Alober
At work the other day some co-workers expressed a desire to listen to personal music, but we could not do that without earphones, at which point we would no longer be able to hear if our phone rang. I suggested a CD player with a phone headset instead of regular headphones. The CD player would also have a place to plug in the phone, so when the phone rang it would ring through so you can answer the phone (or continue to listen to music, if you're avoiding work). This way you don't miss work, but you still get to listen to your music without disturbing coworkers.

Reward: One for me and each of my coworkers, please!
By mtd28student
When i am listening to a stereo or minidisc and my cell fone goes off it creates an annoying interferance. This interference principle could be used to alert you when the phone goes of in the office.

The device would plug into the phone jack, and the phone would plug into the device. From the device would come a wire with some sort of clip on it. This clip is attached externally on the headphone cable.

When the phone rings, the device passes a signal down the wire to the clip. The clip radiates the signal outward, and through induction it is picked up by the headphones cable as a buzzing sound.

The main advantage with this is that any ones walkman, dicsman, minidisc, mp3, lp machine would be compatable, without the need for any modification.

Depending on the kind of office you work in (proxminity to other workers) you could get away with a more powerful transmitter, one where you do not need to clip on to the headphone cord.
By Michael D. Grissom
I'm not sure but I think Alober was wanting the headphones to do both jobs. If your phone rings you are alerted and if you answer then your headphones mute the music and become the phone until hang-up occurs. This has been available in aircraft for at least the last 5 years. I'm not sure but I think Plantronics (or something that sounds like that) is still the leader in that technology.

I wish I still had the time to do quick internet searches on these things and post pics but, time is really tight right now. I'll try to come back and to the searches at a later date.
By cynet
If you were able to convert the phone jack to a mini plug and microphone jack you could use a normal computer headphone with a boom mic attached. Just attach a Y-adapter between the headphones and CD player. When a call comes in just hit stop.

or

If your really talented. Invent a microchip that automatically mutes siognal from the CD player, when audio is coming through the phone jack.

Would that work steve? I am not quite sure how a phone jack really works.
By Steve
cynet wrote:If you were able to convert the phone jack to a mini plug and microphone jack you could use a normal computer headphone with a boom mic attached. Just attach a Y-adapter between the headphones and CD player. When a call comes in just hit stop.

or

If your really talented. Invent a microchip that automatically mutes siognal from the CD player, when audio is coming through the phone jack.

Would that work steve? I am not quite sure how a phone jack really works.
I'm pretty sure it would work, but I'm not exactly a techie myself. ;-)
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]