The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By sanfords
Purpose: To eliminate the need for fences to manage livestock.

Levels:
Level 1: A shock collar with a remote receiver that can be use to remotely control shocking of the wearer. Shock is administered by a capacitive device and on-board battery for charging.
Level 2: Add a transmitter to sense the livestock's temperature (to know the animal is alive) and to indicate battery charge state.
Level 3: Add a GPS monitoring system to transmit Lat/Long location codes when requested.
Level 4: Add software and PC card/remote receiver/transmitter to allow monitoring of multiple collars to track locations of wearers.
Level 5: Add software on collar to allow the user to program boundary corners by moving the collar to each corner of the desired enclosure and pressing a button on the collar to enter the lat/long into a corner list. The collar can then use this information with an onboard computer system to determine at periodic intervals (also programmable) if the collar is in or outside the boundary specified. If the condition is not desired (in or out) then a shock is administered by the collar. Shocks will also transmit a code so that the monitoring station can set off an alarm to alert the rancher that the battery may soon go dead and that an animal is outside its boundary.
Level 6: Add remote software that can reprogram the collars so that boundaries can be dynamically moved from a central location (your PC). Software can be developed to slowly move the boundaries over time to literally herd the animals to or from a desired location.

Usage:
With all these features and some training it should be possible to do ranch work entirely from you PC and remove the need for fencing entirely.

Potential: The market for this should be huge and it would revolutionize ranching. RFID chips could also become integrated into this technology.

Reward: If you ever get these collars made - just let me have free use of this on my own ranch.
By lbeaudion
Hello Sanfords,

I wanted to know if you had come across any system/collar that met the criteria you posted. I was thinking about building a collar with gps that would keep my dogs in the back yard without the use of a fence but your purpose is far more interesting. Please let me know if you have found a collar system that accomplishes what you need. If not please send me a message, this just might be the extra motivation I need to build something we can both use.

Thanks,
Lance
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]