The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By midoh
I wonder, could the lower half of the luner landers left on the moon not be re-used as the ready-made base support for future, more permanent habitation modules on the moon? The advantages would be as follows: Exact location of all the landers is known. Exact dimensions of the landers is known so a habitation module could easily be designed to mate perfectly with the lower half of the lunar module. Navigation computers and remote control techniques have improved immensely since the 1960s, so the habitation modules could be landed under remote contol.

The habitation module could have a docking port designed into its upper surface for docking with manned & unmanned re-supply modules. Of course there is always the question of cost, but I think they would be minimised if we used the hardware that's already on the Moon's surface. There's even a used car up there-isn't there? I think this scheme would allow the establishment of a small scientific base colony (permanent or semi-permanent) on the Moon.

Reward: A long-term sustainable Lunar base.
By zyx Rationalist
Why cant we send a solar lunar rover that is very sturd failproof and durable for years. Such a rover or team of mini solar land rovers can be used to study lunar surface for years to come. they have all the power the need from the sun. they can search for water , mineral or anything else ? I dont see any techinical hurdels in doing this . it seems there is some kinda conspiracy in not doing so. may be that with such a mission it will become clear that there is no need of sending human on moon anymore ?[/b]
By GreatCircleSailor
One simple answer , NASA would have to spends millions to produce the module you suggest, Why would you even consider interfacing something that you spend millions to develope with a platform that has been degrading for 3 decades, Had no visual inspection, this is not a logical suggestion. I suggest you look http://WWW.NASA.GOV if your interested in whats going on out there.
By GreatCircleSailor
I agree that the image's lower section does resemble the lunar lander , however I seriously doubt that anyone has any intention of reusing the origional lander. I happen to work at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center and trust me there are no plans in proposal regarding the lander. The rendendition of Boeings represents a proven structure design.
By Steve
There used to be such a series of toys - five different vehicles, and if you had them all, you could assemble them to one huge, dangerous-looking robot. Of course that was a great marketing idea to get the kids to buy all five toys, but the similarities to the "lunar lander kit" are pretty obvious.

In fact, those same kids who bought all five toys twenty years ago might now be working at the NASA, so the chances that they'll fall for this concept don't seem that bad... ;-)
By Rishi
The whole aero-space effort seems to be a richie rich kid's game. It is also true that if the kids are Wright brothers they can spawn a whole new civilization almost!

While the moon shows the same face to the earth it does rotate on its own axis once in about 28 days. A solar powered unit will be in the dark on alternate fortnights. So a power storage device is needed. The catch is that all high power storage devices (not to mention the photovoltaics) are fearfully heavy. If the ongoing research on polymer batteries comes up with a break through then the solar powered lunar devices will become attractive.

Rishi
By midoh
GreatCircleSailor has taken me to task for putting forward a proposal that would have nasa spending millions of dollars.However my motivation in proposing the RE-USE of the lower half of lunar landers from the Apollo era was mainly so that some money could be saved! If a Lunar habitation module is to be launched in future from Earth several unavoidable issues will arise: (a) Every extra Kilo of weight will cost ~25,000 Dollars(u.s.) to put into orbit.
(b) If the lower half of Lunar landers on the moon are not re-used new landing modules will have to be designed/devloped/manufactured and launched.
(c)the lower landing stage will have to be stowed as payload yet will contribute nothing of value to the mission untill arrival at the moon.
(e)Steve mentioned the 'kit' idea used as a marketing tool for kids' toys I like the kit idea, I think a future lunar base is probably most likely to be constructed from easy-to-assemble components. ;-D
By GreatCircleSailor
Another consideration is this, knowing how things work here at NASA I'm willing to bet that the drawings for the lander aren't even available any longer. ;-) Also midoh I'm not trying to bust your chops on this. It is a good idea just not a plausable one ;-D
By Rishi
It is a good thing if a lot of money could be saved in the space programme. The trouble is we do not know all the answers (We do not even know all the questions!) about the behaviour of materials under extreme conditions. Radiation, huge temperature differentials, And other other issues like thre shade side of the same structure being at one temperature while the sun-side part is boilin hot can wreak havoc.

What happens if we take a habitat there and on touch down the understructure gives way? Also the relentless march of technology may make cheaper alternatives possible.

However the idea of reuse has to be looked into. In India we reuse everything(Even the polyethylene milk satchets) till they fall apart.

Regards,
Rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]