The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By draderman
A friend showed me a YouTube video of a pool table that counteracts the movement caused by waves on a ship at sea (see next post). Why can't they make the entire deck of a boat work on the same principal?

No matter how much the waves rock the boat, the deck would remain level, just like the pool table. It would work using either some type of gyroscope or gimbal, or it would float independent from the base using some sort of counter-weight (possibly like a ball compass). After doing some research, I discovered that there is a device on the market that is basically a gyroscope in a box (see next post). It claims to reduce the effect of waves by 50%. Does anyone else think it's possible to engineer a way to keep the deck of a ship level at all times?

THANKS ALL!
By jodonow
draderman wrote:A friend showed me a YouTube video of a pool table that counteracts the movement caused by waves on a ship at sea (see next post). Why can't they make the entire deck of a boat work on the same principal?

No matter how much the waves rock the boat, the deck would remain level, just like the pool table. It would work using either some type of gyroscope or gimbal, or it would float independent from the base using some sort of counter-weight (possibly like a ball compass). After doing some research, I discovered that there is a device on the market that is basically a gyroscope in a box (see next post). It claims to reduce the effect of waves by 50%. Does anyone else think it's possible to engineer a way to keep the deck of a ship level at all times?

THANKS ALL!
Well the only reason it hasn't been implemented yet is cause it's not worth the huge extra price, generally.
I assume very luxury yachts might do it.
By WWW
My quick thoughts are it may require a (too expensive) double hull; so that the inner hull floats level.

But your question also prompted me to think of possible worthwhile related patent.

i'll put it on my list of hundreds to research.

Thanks
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]