The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By wapside4786
This idea came to me while watching a show on TV about shop lifters. I was observing that shoplifting would not be possible if people knew they would more than likely be caught.

The Idea then hit me: If there was a pressure sensitive tiles/film invented that could weigh the people/items in the shop.

Then when an item is lifted off a shelf the computer system tracks it until the checkout. Each item is scanned and removed from the security list at checkout. If a person fails to pay for an item in the possession the doors fail to open/alarm is sounded.

With a system designed right I should be able to track all customers in the store. Know what item was taken without looking. Get timestamps for security camera videos.

Maybe it is a bit too futuristic.
By Steve
If this can be used to track shoplifters, it can also be used to track regular shoppers, thus possibly saving a lot of time at check-out. Just a thought. :-?
By freerpg
the system sounds good but putting it into practise is hard. first you would need facial recognition to identify each person, just because they walk in does not mean they walk out in the same order.
second what is stopping me from going to the toilets filling a 1litre container of water, walking into the shops and then emptying the container and stealing 1kg of a product?
in all reality the easiest way to stop shoplifting is to do it online. instead of having standard retail merchants have a computer screen and back of house "personal shoppers" then your workers can just pick up the products and deliver them to the front having scanned them all. if the customer has no way of touching the items before they are at the checkout there is no way they can steal it.
having said this there are always issues with every method of antitheft. the biggest deterrent to theft is still a 6ft tall security guard standing at the counters eyeing everyone of and doing searches.
By wapside4786
the system sounds good but putting it into practise is hard. first you would need facial recognition to identify each person, just because they walk in does not mean they walk out in the same order.
]You could follow every footstep they take no need for facial recognition. And there is where CCTV and timestamps come in.
second what is stopping me from going to the toilets filling a 1litre container of water, walking into the shops and then emptying the container and stealing 1kg of a product?
If you where to empty water onto the tiles it would disperse making it way very little. Once you pick up the item from the shelf the system would log it was you and continue tracking.
in all reality the easiest way to stop shoplifting is to do it online. instead of having standard retail merchants have a computer screen and back of house "personal shoppers" then your workers can just pick up the products and deliver them to the front having scanned them all. if the customer has no way of touching the items before they are at the checkout there is no way they can steal it.
Pretty smart idea.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]