The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Bubbles
Many police officers from around the world carry firearms while at work. While this does provide protection to the officer, it can also be used against him if it was grabbed in a fight. My idea is that police firearms would have small finger print scanners that analize the prints of whoever is holding the weapon. If the person holding the weapon is not the officer the weapon was assinged to, the weapon would refuse to fire. The weapon would also let out a huge electrical charge (80,000 volts+) that would immobilise the suspect. Although the shock is high in volts, it would have an extreemly low ampage (0.0001 amps maybe) so that it doesn't actually do any damage to the suspect.

Reward: fewer shot police officers
By sneezyalex
Cost. Most police don't have enough money. Almost anything can be done if you have money. Plus some police and now some airlines have things called tasers. They are nonleathel weapons that when fired will sent millions of volts through the body and knock the person out for several hours. They are still a bit expensive.
By Michael D. Grissom
This really is a great practical idea and I expect to see it in the very near future (if not already done). I've worked on this concept before but stopped when a google search found many others with working prototypes. That was over a year ago.
By The_Wise
hmmm..I remember seeing this in some movie...I believe it was Judge Dread with Slyvester Stallone.....awful awful awful move...but it did have the indentification gun. It's definately a plausible idea, someone just has to do it.
By sneezyalex
In the army when you are fighting you may run out of ammo. If you picked up your friends gun it wouldn't work. What would you do?You would die. :-C
By Steve
sneezyalex wrote:In the army when you are fighting you may run out of ammo. If you picked up your friends gun it wouldn't work. What would you do?You would die. :-C
Correct. But don't forget that the idea is explicitly suggested for the police. ;-)
By sneezyalex
The police could have a shoot off with suspects. They could be in the same situation. :-?
By Willlxx
Would having some form of code or a lock which would have to be inputted or activated before a magazine was loaded in be of any use? :-?
By Rishi
Willlxx wrote:Would having some form of code or a lock which would have to be inputted or activated before a magazine was loaded in be of any use? :-?
A good suggestion. This or a variant is feasible without much cost. The catch is that it reduces the availability of the sidearm for fast action. Maybe a key, which remains attached to the finger of the cop(worn like a ring?) and engages the matching part of the gun might perhaps work.

rishi
By Willlxx
I know its possible to get fob readers which open locks when presented in the vicintity perhaps a more sophisticated version of this software would work.
By tolychok
So I saw that on JUDGE DREDD it is a good idea though Slyvester Stalone soiled it somewhat you should look into the actual mechanics of it
By Steve
I would also be interested in the statistics, i.e. how often situations like that (where officers are shot with their own weapons) actually occur. :-?
By majidshaikh
you know what this idea is absolutely brilliant how about adapting the gun buisness for the army so only team members can use it, hmmm maybe by having some sort of tiny storage telling which fingerprints can be accepted this would mean if youre in a middle of a war n run out of ammo knock ya team mate out with the gun n use his!! lol the magazine can also be configured so that itd only recognise the guns within the team or squad. using this the police could use it. gangs could use it so that the police cant etc etc
By majidshaikh
hey just thought any1 heard of the killing of the innocent brazillian fella in the UK? well how about when police are not on assignments they cannot use lethal ammo! instead can knock them out but not kill. when they are on missions or assignments how about including gps on the guns so that they can only shoot in a certain radius of a couple of miles of where the mission is to take place. of course there should be a emergency button for instance trigger twice just to get rid of highly skilled people like koreans in tree's
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]