The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
It should be possible to convert the kinetic energy from automobiles into electricity by placing an aparatus in the roads.

One option could be crystals to generate a piezoelectric effect that converts the pressure of the vehicles into an electric charge. This idea would require a chemical / civil engineering background which I don't posses.

Reward: Notariety only, I am no position to implement this idea.
By Steve
What exactly do you mean by notariety? :-?
By Michael D. Grissom
If that were possible then you could just as easily put the piezoelectric crystals in the tread of your tires and use the resulting electricity to partially power your car.

Think about the effort (energy) required to depress the trigger on one piezoelectric disposable lighter just to create that one incredibly low power spark and then remember that your tires would have to depress millions of them per mile and you'll see the problem.

Another way to look at this is an attempt at perpetual motion. Use an electric solenoid to strike the crystal and the resulting power generated to fire the solenoid again (infamous motor generator loop).
By Steve
Maybe we can just install those crystals on downhill roads (right lane)? Then we'd also save on some brakes... ;-)
By najr
Taking the principle of the idea and modifying it:

Vehicles could be fitted with a sideways protuding arm (not unlike those on post trains to collect bags off hooks in the past) that hit and spin rotors (connected to generators) fixed on the roadside.

A logistical and ergonomic nightmare to implement though!
By Michael D. Grissom
All these things would work if like Steve said above - it is used as regenerative breaking.

(btw Steve.. message passed to Teresa.. waiting for response)
By Steve
Actually, I'd suppose that there's where the energy is wasted in city traffic: braking in front of red lights. It might be a cool idea to build a test junction: a smart intersection with piezoelectric (or whatever else) resistance that adapts to the lights as well as the speed of the car. Basically the cars are braked down to come to a stop in front of the red light, only that the energy isn't wasted as usual but absorbed by the system.
By sneezyalex
Is that a bit too much trouble? :-?
What is wrong will more reliable sources like dams and Solar energy? :-?
If you could place piezos in the road surface and collect energy in some kind of grid, you could also place solar cells in road and collect electricity. That might be quite a bit of energy to power the (electric) cars on the road.
By Rishi
Steve wrote:Actually, I'd suppose that there's where the energy is wasted in city traffic: braking in front of red lights. It might be a cool idea to build a test junction: a smart intersection with piezoelectric (or whatever else) resistance that adapts to the lights as well as the speed of the car. Basically the cars are braked down to come to a stop in front of the red light, only that the energy isn't wasted as usual but absorbed by the system.
An electric car called Reva, which is made in Bangalore, India, already has a regenerative braking system. If the brake pedal is partially pushed in, the the rotation of the shaft drives a dynamo, which charges the battery. I suspect that the dynamo is always there. The brake only kicks in to connect the output to the battery. If the power is not consumed there is of course no braking torque.

For safety's sake, if the pedal is pushed in all the way the brake is applied in the normal manner.

I do not see why we cannot use this in all the cars as MDG suggests.

rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]