The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Steve
It happens to me fairly often that I want to cool down a can of beer quickly and put it in the freezer - but then forget about it. Next day, the can is burst open and the beer is frozen - and once your beer melts, it tastes flat and ugly.

I've heard though that it's not the freezing process that causes the beer to go flat, but that the carbonation gets lost during thawing (when the can isn't airtight anymore). If true, a beer (de)compression chamber might be the answer - put the frozen can inside and save your precious beer from ending up in the sink.

Reward: Free product
By dreamit
I love it that your idea deals with the frozen beer - not the fact that you're forgetting your beer in there in the first place. What about a little alarm on a band you slip onto the can when you put it in the freezer?
By Rishi
Frozen beer has a larger volume than liquid beer. The can is too thin to contain this. What you need is a compression chamber to prevent the can burst. All you need is a thick walled Aluminum vessel with a screw on lid in which a beer can will fit snugly. Any left over space can be filled with a non toxic antifreeze like propylene glycol. This can be bunged into the fridge. If retrieved after a long hiatus, can be thawed without harming contents.

rishi
By Steve
Hi rishi - nice talking to you again. ;)

The main question I was asking myself was: If you ALREADY have a busted can with frozen beer, is there a way to save the beer, i.e. thaw it without losing the carbonation? :b
By Rishi
Steve wrote:Hi rishi - nice talking to you again. ;)

The main question I was asking myself was: If you ALREADY have a busted can with frozen beer, is there a way to save the beer, i.e. thaw it without losing the carbonation? :b
Dear Steve,
You do come up with unusual situations, which are challenging from a science point of view.
The problem is that the solid beer will have to warm up a bit for it to become liquid. Unfortunately carbon dioxide would still be in the gaseous state and will escape. So we still need a container like the one suggested to keep the gas in.
How about a spout with a valve fitted to the lid that will let you thaw the brew and let you drink it from inside and outside the can.
You can float th idea of a canned can after the fourth at some congenial pub perhaps. As a tee totaller I have only an academic interest. :~(
rishi
By Steve
Rishi wrote:How about a spout with a valve fitted to the lid that will let you thaw the brew and let you drink it from inside and outside the can.
Yep - but I'm not convinced that you'd be able to get that truely airtight. :-? (Although, if anyone, probably you could. O:) )

Alternative: A pipe with a closed bottom that has just the diameter of a can (guess they have a standard width). You slide in the can quickly (before it takes on ice on the outside). Then you'd have some sort of "dynamic" lid you can slide into the pipe (some cans are bigger than others). The lid will need a rubber seal of some sort, to make sure it's fully airtight (maybe combine that with a simple mechanical "switch" that'll extend the seal).

According to my research, the CO2 is basically kicked out of the water once it freezes, but it's still there, trapped between the ice crystals. It escapes once the beer thaws - provided of course it has somewhere to escape to, if not, it'll return into the water.

(And yes, I guess that makes it a compression chamber. ;) )
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]