The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By sebin
This particular shoe could be used for soldiers... here there is a metal detector which is attached at the bottom of the shoe. So for soldiers when they are in the field; this shoe would allow them to detect mines and trip wires.
By InventR
Thats a Fantastic Idea! Just wanted to congratulate you. Some of the best ideas don't seem to get any replies posted.
By Michael D. Grissom
I agree - fantastic idea!!!

The only downside I can possibly think of is that a metal detector transmits a signal to do its detecting and that same signal could be used by the enemy to detect the soldier and even detonate the mine. :~(

The patentable idea would be in the unique trick of metal detecting without transmitting anything detectable by the enemy. hmmm

Spread spectrum RF white noise?
insect sounds?

Keep thinking.. there's a solution out there somewhere and being a war vet, I think this really is a great idea!
;-D ;-D ;-D
By c_i_a2022
must think of the weight and size of the equipment alot.

but what you all say is true about war times in war times do u think u have the time to check for mines if we are at war.

is fight or die to some ppl.
By Rishi
Michael D. Grissom wrote:I agree - fantastic idea!!!

The only downside I can possibly think of is that a metal detector transmits a signal to do its detecting and that same signal could be used by the enemy to detect the soldier and even detonate the mine. :~(

The patentable idea would be in the unique trick of metal detecting without transmitting anything detectable by the enemy. hmmm

Spread spectrum RF white noise?
insect sounds?

Keep thinking.. there's a solution out there somewhere and being a war vet, I think this really is a great idea!
;-D ;-D ;-D
One can consider a directional signal to avoid broadcasting. The bigger problem is nuisance detection of nails, sharpnel, and odd bits of metal invariably dotting the landscape. The shoe itself should be free of metals such as eyelets, binding at the end of laces and such.

A small piece of metal under the sole may give a larger signal than a landmine (Of misunderstandings!) a step ahead. The detctor may let fly every time the soldier grounds his rifle.

May be a randomised pulsed detector may evade detection by the enemy. However, a large body of soldiers moving together may certainly be detectable by the other side.

rishi
By free4li
sorry to tell you but from long time Italy is making plastic mines.
no shoe can help you!
By The_Joe
and besides wouldnt the mine go off if your shoe detected it because you just stepped there? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
By overcaffein8d
interesting... a good idea, but maybe they should use something other than a metal detector.... we have to think: what do bombs have (that's detectable) that other things don't?

hmm... what if... there could be a screen or something in the helmet where he could see a map of the density of the soil. i know that there's mole burrows and stuff, but wouldn't it be able to detect the plastic? what about metal?

what if you had both metal detector and density? i also heard about something where they spray certain seeds over fields, and a few weeks later, after they grow, the plant will be red if it is subjected to certain explosives/chemicals...
By sebin
Rishi - What i think is that if you are using a mine detector in a field, obiviously there will be nails. And soilders who are using it , ignores most of this stray signals.
We have to compare the signals (using some DSP systems) and identify which are the ones that has to be ignored.

The shoe can have a range of 1-3 feet so it need not be right on top of it.
By Steve
sebin wrote:Rishi - What i think is that if you are using a mine detector in a field, obiviously there will be nails.
I guess it would work just as the metal detector at the airport - the odd coin will be ignored, but once the amount of metal meets a certain threshold, the alarm goes off.
By bcrizzy
well if your shoes could hover, then mines wouldn't explode ;-D
By shyr_15
maybe it could give different signal for different kinds of metals :D
By DirtpatchSmacky
Most explosives give off specific chemicle signitures(smells), they have electronic "sniffers" to detect explosives. Maybe they could incorporate these sniffers into existing equiptment and have the sensor in the boot,, the sensors do have to be fairlly close to the source, especially when its buried. And yes, size and wieght are of grave concerns, with the average soldier carrying over 100 pounds of gear with them allready. Besides the horrendous failure rate of the m16 a1's barrel, it was also redesigned in an effort to shed wieght. The Marine Corps employs sniffer drones in some areas, small battery operated vehicles with bomb sniffing equipt. that rove around ahead of troop movement,
explosives also degrade, when anything loses energy, they give off a magnetic trace that could be a "tell".most mines are made with plastique, which degrades reletivelly quicklly, some mines made with plastic shells, unburied, can be seen in thermal vision. as is the case of claymore mines, which sit on the ground, and have a plastic face.for instance, nukes give off such a tremendous signiture while normal degradation, that they can be spotted from space. im not trying to sound like a know it all, just listing ways that i know of that explosives can be detected, so that maybe some one could work one into a feasable portable device.
By DirtpatchSmacky
Also, most mines that im aware of still use mangnesium ignition strips(flash charge),or detonators that work like a percusion cap in a standard bullet,to ignite the tetryl charge, i wonder if there is some way with concentrated microwaves, or sound cannons, to aggravate the detonator into failure, exploding the mines from a distance or by air.
By sebin
something like that you see in the movie " die another day"...
If we are not careful we someone might be killed...or it could trigger of a chain reaction. One mine blast triggering of other mines to explode
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]