The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By aoler
Problem: killer tornado struck in the middle of the night in Indiana and Kentucky injuring more than 230 people, who were probably asleep and not tuned into the weather channel.

Solution: Create sofware that the National Weather Service can use to automatically call (in a single second) or send text messages to all cell phones/landlines to people in areas most likely to be hit. This will definitely serve as a warning system for those not tuned in to TV, but are carrying phones.

Reward: None
By A_Guy_Outta_Ideas
Good idea, however, what if the people don't have their cell phone on? Or if they are very sound sleepers? But other than that it is a very good idea.
By Rishi
aoler wrote:Problem: killer tornado struck in the middle of the night in Indiana and Kentucky injuring more than 230 people, who were probably asleep and not tuned into the weather channel.

Solution: Create sofware that the National Weather Service can use to automatically call (in a single second) or send text messages to all cell phones/landlines to people in areas most likely to be hit. This will definitely serve as a warning system for those not tuned in to TV, but are carrying phones.

Reward: None
Even repetitive events like the annual monsoon rains of the tropics cannot be predicted with any accuracy although super computers are continuously on the task. The paths of hurricanes and cyclones, which are a result of known atmospheric conditions can only be approximated.

Tornadoes have a very narrow path of action. They are fast and get easily diverted by local conditions. The base can whip around quite erratically. The idea of an early warning system is certainly good. But the implimentation may not be easy with the current state of knowledge.

rishi
By llemmart
i dont know where you from but they make a weather radio and it warns you. and the weather people is very accurate with storms and and have it within minutes when its gonna hit each town. in the usa
By KitzyKitt
I like your idea. If it's the middle of the night, or you don't know to watch turn off your cd player in the car and turn on the radio to listen to a broadcast warning message.

Out where I am, they run old air-raid sirens when there is a tornado sighting, now I know they don't have those setup everywhere, and sending messages to people who would like to be informed would be a great idea. Even here in the US, eg. Oklahoma, where tornadoes kill hundreds every year would benefit from a system like this one.

;-D

There is an issue that some people might be deep-sleepers or have their phones turned off, not with them, etc, but it would be another option that could save lives. Even if not everyone benefits from the system. I think enough people would that it is a good idea to implement.
By wlrdlr08
Hi,
I developed a system that would call any number and notify folks of emergency information and instructions. Started it right after 9/11. The system will also distribute a message across networks and display emergency messages, audio, video on desktop and laptop computers. The system could allow the administrator to activate a lock disabling any further input from the computer user, semi forcing them to read the message instead of ignoring it. If they turned there computer off and then back on, the message would remain. The adminstrator detrmines the amount of time the message displays. The same functionality works for cell phones, PDA's, etc... This is just part of an entire continuity and disaster planning system called UniSafe.

Anyway, I never could get funding to see it thru. Made it thru preliminary testing and shelved it. Good to hear folks think it still good idea.

Wlrdlr08
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]