The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronBurns
Did you know that standard letters on a keyboard are not set up to make it easier to type but the opposite. They were arranged early in the 1900's to make it the hardest to use for a specific odd reason and that has never changed?

If we arrange the letters around and place the letters used most (for instance) at the easiest point to type them then we would have a better and faster keyboard. I say we go a step further and rearrange the entire keyboard (not just letters) and add extra enter buttons, space bars etc. in different areas making multiple spots for the easiest places to hit the keys when and where appropriate. Also, I would like to not have to program all the function keys to do different things but combine certain used combinations of keys into one key, like one key for Control/Alt/Delete and other commands. The faster we can work the more gets done!

Reward: To make typing easier...
By Steve
Actually the reason wasn't that odd: a mechanical typewriter can easily get stuck if you hit two neighboring keys in short order, that's why the keys you'd typically use in sequence are separated. I wonder though if, once you've learned typewriting, it really makes a difference where the keys are (wonder = it would be interesting to know). :-?
By AaronBurns
DVORAK is a similar cocept.
Great that you noticed.
The research I found was the placement of the ergonomics of the entire key board rather than the keys themselves for optimal typing speeds.
I would also like to add that the old arrangement of keys was to make them the most difficult to hit exactly like Steve said and it was to avoid key arms from sticking together.
I also think your right; we should add DVORAK to my design and create the last, final design of the keys and the board shape and position of every thing.
Thank you kindly for adding too my design and helping me advance the idea.
P.S. - I did research DVORAK key boards and the square design made, makes the keys easier to hit and if we add ergonomic and different, new positions for the keys that we actually hit then we have a key board that I would actually buy. It could solve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for all computer typist in any field of study or work.
Thanks again! ;-D ;-D ;-D
By Michael D. Grissom
Hello again everyone.. long time no see!

While working for Raytheon in the late 80's I was asked to evaluate a new ergonomic kinesis DVORAK keyboard just like this QWERTY keyboard. I thought the combination was fantastic. Learning the much more efficient DVORAK key layout wasn't nearly as confusing as I had anticipated and switching back and forth between the two types wasn't a problem either - like switching between the two phonetic alphabets.

I was so thrilled with my instant increase in typing speed that I kept the DVORAK keyboard as my primary for 5+ years until retiring from Raytheon.

Unfortunately the kinesis layout isn't the most efficient use of the limited space available on laptops (where the world is migrating) and the QWERTY is so well established that people are simply afraid to make the change no matter how much faster and easier DVORAK is.
Attachments
Ergonomic Kinesis DVORAK Keyboard
Ergonomic Kinesis DVORAK Keyboard
kb_adv-blk720x471.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
By AaronBurns
Have an 8 1/2" x 11" space between the two sides of the key board's main sections (Similar to the picture, but larger in the middle) to include a document holder for easy data entry.
You could plainly see your text while typing it into the computer!
By Steve
AaronBurns wrote:Have an 8 1/2" x 11" space between the two sides of the key board's main sections (Similar to the picture, but larger in the middle) to include a document holder for easy data entry.
You could plainly see your text while typing it into the computer!
Remember that you're not supposed to look on the keyboard anyway while typing... O:-)
By skeletor
I recall something like this beeing presented at some expo a while back.. Some of the most used keys were larger than the others and so on, and they had done a lot of research on how typing could be most effective they said.

Never heard anymore of that tough, and don't remember the name either..
By fullofideazmo
i like these ideas and have been very curious about the dvorak layout, but have never had a chance to try it on.
one other factor i like in 'alternative' keyboards is being able to separate the halves for each hand to the most comfortable distance for me. like everything else in this world, the setup is ideal for some theoretical person who may not even exist with most of us coming in over or under their ideal spacing and placement specs. i know i don't. i'd also like to be able to put the adding machine-type number pad (i'm touch proficient on it if it is ergonomically positioned) wherever is most comfortable for me along with other frequent use things like the funkeys, and while i'm wishing for the moon, to not have to pay a fortune for it either. maybe you could even supplement with programmable foot controls. i hate having body parts sit idle when they could be speeding up or streamlining the process, or providing a break for other parts that are having to carry too much of the load, and do graphics and layout with a trackball on the right and a graphics tablet on the left. why not wish for the moon? it could happen. ;) :D
By AaronBurns
The optimal choice would be to be able to type with one hand only.
Maybe seperate the keys into two complete sets for one hand on the left a space and the ergonomic shape with the duplicate keys on the right side. Two of all neccessary keys.
Also to make expediant typing you would need "Enter" keys and the other most used in four or more places since you never know where your last key input would be.
If you type a "Y" then you need an enter button at the top of the keys on each side (Left keyboard and right keyboard) :~( .
I also think there should be advancements in keeping us from hitting the wrong keys while shooting for the "A" we get an extra unwanted "S"!
Design me a keyboard that doesn't add letters to my typing. :~(
By megamancom2
AaronBurns wrote:Also, I would like to not have to program all the function keys to do different things but combine certain used combinations of keys into one key, like one key for Control/Alt/Delete and other commands. The faster we can work the more gets done!
as far as combining the Control, Alternate, and Delete button goes you will just have to deal with it, cause each of those have a defined function, most people don't realize that control and alternate (alt) can make it possible to use a computer with out ever using the mouse. they do make keyboards that have a number of extra keys that are programable through software, allowing these keys to do just about any thing, from key strockes to button combos and even opening programs.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]