The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By tstauffer
petersnoboard93 wrote:This sounds like a very good idea. I have been trying to see if there are any websites like this out there, but i can't find anything. Im not sure what to call the website or what to google. If any one has any ideas of what to search it would be greatly appreciated. I will share what ever i come up with. Please Help!
A new website that provides some of these features was launched a few weeks ago. The website is: http://www.sidehire.com

Check it out.
By AgentOrange
Naw, those are just "yellow page" sites, and not very glorified ones at that.

For an effective network, you would only need the following items (as far as I can tell):

1. Plan an exact moment in time (like 11:59 pm GMT on December 31st, 2007) when all goods and services will be assigned a permanent barter value, based on their average price (say, in US dollars) at that moment...Time Zero. The prices don't have to be incredibly precise, as long as they are all established at that same time. New goods and services can be continually added later, if and ONLY if there is agreeable data available on what their average price was at Time Zero.

2. Stipulate that those assigned values (and effective barter ratios) can never, ever,ever, ever, EVER change, once they are established.

3. Agree that the 'barter unit' would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...never, never EVER relate to actual currency from then on, or be exchangeable for any actual currency from then on. (We wouldn't want any GOVERNMENTS trying to weasel in on this. The gods KNOW how bad THEY suck.)

4. A barter 'bank' would simply keep track of when transactions have become 'half-complete' and complete. (We would need to use flat fees ONLY for services because we wouldn't want any 'hours' to continue to be billed after a satisfactory performance has already been achieved, but not yet posted by the other party.) The 'bank' would also maintain comments or ratings on customer satisfaction, after each transaction, for every party in the system.

5. Naturally, we would need to agree that transactions always take place between exactly two parties who possess mutually agreeable goods and/or services. There could be no such thing as barter credit (none, zip, nada, nada II, nada III, zero, 1-1, negatory, zilch, goose-eggs, infinitely not, 0, empty set, and so on).

Okay, people. Let's get busy!

Time is money.
By thatpersonthatiam
just a yellow pages site? not really. elance is an auction site for contractors. you register an account as someone wishing to purchase their services and post a project proposal. The contractors can then bid to be part of your project and you accept the highest bid. it's been going for some time and is quite successful. I, personally, know someone who has started a unique computer business (here is aus), contracting out the programming job for the 'repair job assignment system' to a programmer from this website, in addition to advertisements and graphic design for the business. This person has said that the services are very cheap (due to locations of many of the contractors - india, china, etc...) and the quality of work is outstanding.
So... I think my point is that it isn't really a yellow pages-esque site.
By AgentOrange
Point well-taken. Let me apologize that I wasn't suggesting that these weren't good sites for what they're doing, only that they seemed to divert from this topic. Things like money and debt may be the antithesis of a barter philosophy. (Although everything else, like bidding and classified advertising, would probably work very well with it.)

But, after reading what you wrote about elance, it sounds like it might very well play into a web-based barter system. It's about half-way there right now, but the programming could be adapted to manage currency-free proposals and agreements. The power would be in the transparent networking value of the internet, and it's ability to arrange well-suited exchanges.
By thatpersonthatiam
So you're suggesting a website or feature on one of the existing ones that allows for trade of services rather than auction? It's an interesting idea, with the only fallacy that I see in it that it requires both parties to have something that the other wants, thereby restricting the number of such trades. Cash/money is the basis for the universal trade system. Everyone who has services to offer wants money and those wanting to purchase services has money.
But it is a unique concept and those are the ones with the most potential. So, sounds good.
By AgentOrange
Yeah, transactions take place only where the need(s) of each party can be met by the service(s) and/or good(s) of the other. So, the number of potential trades is definitely limited to matches. Yet, for services and durable goods (goods that are not perishable), time isn't a very critical factor. The needs of individual members will exist until they are met, in general. This makes for a continually growing network.

Using the original post on this topic as an example, let's say a talented rock band makes its own commercial-quality recordings, and it needs a graphic artist to do some design work for an album cover. The band will register for this barter site and, in its profile, the band will post a need for graphic artwork. The band will also list things it can trade for that artwork (like music albums, live performances, professional music recordings, et cetera). If and when a graphic artist who needs a band (say, for a wedding) signs up for the site, then the programming will alert each of the parties to a suitable exchange. This may sound like a long-shot. But it isn't when you consider the number of people who have access to, or indirect contact with, the network.

Of course, you can always incorporate money transactions to boost membership. But you would want to keep that aspect separate from the trade aspect. And, you would always want to reserve the right to retract the money aspect at any time.

What I'm talking about can already be enjoyed at regional sites like craigslist. The potential for a national or global system just opens up so much more commerce that it's not even funny. It would be ideal for services and goods that are useful to people, regardless of where they live. There would be no need to set arbitrarily narrow boundaries.
By MrChuggler
New Product!

The "Chuggler" Mug

http://www.chuggler.com

30oz mug with a funnel attached to the bottom. Drink out of it like a normal mug or pinch, twist, and pull down for some super fast funnel action. 30oz in 1.75 sec.
Completely adjust the flow of the fluid.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]