The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By jhgomez
What about a new low cost terminal, something like the old Commodore 64 but with new features: keyboard with integrated screen (40x10 chars), no hard disk, instead flash memory (1 gig), serial port, USB port, internal modem and thermal printer... that's it. Programmable in Basic, C, Pascal or some other low level language.

Lots of small merchants would like the idea of billing (for example) with this low cost terminals, and lots of programmer will have the opportunity of become in contractors, consultants, independient programmers, etc.

Not everybody needs all the features and devices that come with a PC (which make 'em very expensive by the way). This terminal could cost, let's say... $50-$100? I'm sure they will spread and the programmers will get money. Don't think in rich countries where almost everybody can afford a PC, they are the least, think in the huge amount of people that can't afford a normal PC but need it or something like it. Programmer can develop light programs to connect to Internet and you could access your email and text web pages too, like some cell phones do.

Yes, we have Palm, Verifone, Treo and lots of other hand helds stuff, but are still expensive and require very expensive licenses for software deploying.

Reward: T-shirts and caps with my new bussines logo.
By afhunt2798
I did once have a similar idea - a low specification computer (potentially upgradeable) which accesses servers for programs and email etc. The servers do most of the work, all the terminal does is connect and display the information. I hadn't thought of it in such a global context, but now that i do, it could be very useful. You could even build in solar panels and rechargeable batteries so that in areas with limited or no electrical power, they could still be used. Perhaps using open source software would avoid the incredibly expensive software licenses you talk about.
By jhgomez
[quote="afhunt2798"]I did once have a similar idea - a low specification computer (potentially upgradeable) which accesses servers for programs and email etc. The servers do most of the work, all the terminal does is connect and display the information. I hadn't thought of it in such a global context, but now that i do, it could be very useful. You could even build in solar panels and rechargeable batteries so that in areas with limited or no electrical power, they could still be used. Perhaps using open source software would avoid the incredibly expensive software licenses you talk about.[/quote]

Thanks for answering. I'm still looking forward to find that kind of computer. Maybe the chinese could have something like that or could make them if someone asks for it. But still nobody is paying attention to it. They cannot see big business on it.
By afhunt2798
I agree! I see huge business potential in it. Considering an Intel Celeron processor can easily be obtained for as little as $1, and assuming the price of flash disks come down, it is very possible. I know a similar idea is in development, but it is still far too expensive for many poorer nations - still $200 dollars. And the idea is poorly conceived and executed. I will try and gather some more details. I think a prototype is in order...
By DirtpatchSmacky
i forget whos doing it, maybe sun microsystems, but they produce this type of item in laptop for to distribute to third world childrem, and the thing is powered by a little hand crank,, seriouslly,, the kid cranks it for a minute or so, and it powers the computer for 10-15 mins. actually its mit thats doing it, heres a link to an article-
http://www.boston.com/business/globe/ar ... _a_laptop/
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]