The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By bstrick5620
I would like to create a vehicle a/c system that, instead of using the energy from the vehicle's motor to turn the a/c pump, has an electric DC motor to turn the pump, reducing the drag on the engine and increasing fuel economy.

The a/c compressor would get mounted near the fire wall along with the DC motor, then connect them and run power to the DC motor. Splice into the alternator for recharge of an auxillary battery, if needed, or get a high output alternator and battery, to resolve the need for a second battery.

Reward: Make one for my car.
By whiteclef
turns out there is a company that is making DC compressors for applications just like this. They are called masterflux. They've even developed a smaller system for a golf cart.

http://www.masterflux.com
By Rishi
bstrick5620 wrote:I would like to create a vehicle a/c system that, instead of using the energy from the vehicles motor to turn the a/c pump, has an electric DC motor to turn the pump, reducing the drag on the engine and increasing fuel economy.

The a/c compressor would get mounted near the fire wall along with the DC motor, then connect them and run power to the DC motor. Splice into the alternator for recharge of an auxillary battery, if needed, or get a high output alternator and battery, to resolve the need for a second battery.

Reward: Make one for my car.
If you are drawing the power from the car's electric system, ultimately the energy comes from the engine. There will not be any fuel saving. Actually,directly drawing mechanical power will be more efficient than from the car's electrics as a conversion efficiency gets involved in the latter case.

rishi
By Daryl666
this actually to all people is being done already. however while it is deffinatly more efficient to draw the mechanical energy from the engine via the belt. this created an interesting problem for the new high tech hybrid cars that turn off their motors (rendering the ac useless) when normal cars would be idling. Hence using a DC motor to turn the compressor. As a side note because the DC motor remains at a constant rpm the compressor no longer has to be overkill to handle the varing RPM of the engine, allowing some of the lost efficiency to be recovered, not all of it but at least some.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]