The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By ftfmayo
A pay per use, water proof, bullet proof, hurricane, flood, plague of locusts proof, emergency phone. A life or death survival phone that will make your S.O.S be heard no matter where, no matter what. Free or cheap to have, but you pay out the wazzoo if you use it.

Reward: I'd like to never hear another cell phone ring.
By Steve
The problem is that these devices are EXTREMELY expensive. Even if your call was $100 per minute, no company would give them away for free, because they would never break even. ;-7
By pooface228
Steve wrote:The problem is that these devices are EXTREMELY expensive. Even if your call was $100 per minute, no company would give them away for free, because they would never break even. ;-7

Not true emergency's appen every minute I think they would break even. Quit trying to shoot down other peoples good ideas.
By Steve
http://www.creativitypool.com/viewtopic.php?t=655

Not sure why you think that pointing out possible problems with an idea means shooting it down. If the idea was bad then of course it does (and then it is well deserved), but if your opinion is right then it'll improve and hopefully we'll have it all in our pockets one day.

Here are my numbers:
As far as I know, an Iridium Phone ("be heard no matter where, no matter what") costs at least $1,000. So, the question is - how often would people use it? Let's say that a call costs $1,000. I have to admit that I have never been in a situation where I would have wanted to make a phone call for $1,000. So even if I'm greatly optimistic and 10% of all users ever make this phone call, then the price tag for the call would suddenly rise to $10,000. What you get is a vicious circle and at the end the company will need a few desperate millionaires who can afford to pay $10M for an emergency call.

Imho, the rich part of the world is just too safe for this to pay off, and the unsafe part of the world is just too poor to be able to afford it. ;-7
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
I don't think Steve was trying to shoot anything down - examining an idea from all angles and raising questions is just a normal part of every brainstorming or r&d process. It's definitely nothing personal...

As to the idea, I have to say I like it in principle, but I'm also not sure how you'd get around the costs (Steve's numbers sound pretty daunting). Sponsoring by the rescue services you'd wind up using (and paying)? Just wait for the technology to get cheaper?
By overcaffein8d
i don't think it's all that bad of an idea...
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]