The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By stephenhobbs
This idea targets two problems: energy conservation & costs and obesity. Have a recumbent bike that the employee pedals during the day. Pedaling is connected to a generator and the expended energy powers the user's computers, peripherals, cell phone, etc. Store excess energy in a battery.

Problem solved: Employers reduce energy consumption, thereby reducing energy costs while employees lose weight and get in shape. Excess energy is stored for future use in a battery. Battery owners could sell their batteries of stored energy.

Reward: Design/build and let's market it to make money.
If the power is coming from the person pedaling, the person will have to be outputting at least that amount of power; that's conservation of energy. In other words, when you power a generator, that generator takes work out of you by resisting the turning motion. If you hooked up two generators and tried to turn them at the same speed, you would feel double the resistance as compared to turning one at that speed. So there's no free lunch. I think that's what you were asking, at least.

If you meant having multiple exercise bikes with multiple people to get more power, that would certainly be possible. So you could, for example, hook up a bunch of exercise bikes to power a computer. You would need at least several hundred dollars of power electronics to turn the generators' outputs into usable 60Hz grid electricity, though. (That's a problem anytime you have a generator whose speed (and therefore output frequency) isn't precisely controlled. It's one of the big costs that wind power has.)
By KWu
DreadEngineer wrote:If the power is coming from the person pedaling, the person will have to be outputting at least that amount of power; that's conservation of energy. In other words, when you power a generator, that generator takes work out of you by resisting the turning motion. If you hooked up two generators and tried to turn them at the same speed, you would feel double the resistance as compared to turning one at that speed. So there's no free lunch. I think that's what you were asking, at least.

If you meant having multiple exercise bikes with multiple people to get more power, that would certainly be possible. So you could, for example, hook up a bunch of exercise bikes to power a computer. You would need at least several hundred dollars of power electronics to turn the generators' outputs into usable 60Hz grid electricity, though. (That's a problem anytime you have a generator whose speed (and therefore output frequency) isn't precisely controlled. It's one of the big costs that wind power has.)
I Kind of agree and disagree with "DreadEngineer". We should consider "Energy" instead of just thinking about "Power". If you can pedal to get 75W but the computer needs 300W. Then, you can pedal 4 hours to supply one hour work in the computer as long as you have a bigger battery to store the energy. You don't need a bunch of exercise bikes to power a computer.

Actually, Just a thought, you don't need to convert a DC to AC 60Hz for the computer use. I image most of the PC would take 127V dc min. as input power. What you need is a DC to DC converter which is much cheaper than DC/AC converter.
Could you set the computer up to require a set amount of exercise/exercise an hour? Then have the main electricity running the computer, and something like 100W-200W coming from the users in an average workday.
How much exercise do I need to do daily to lose weight quickly? I'm a 21 year old male, I'm 5'11" and weigh around 13 and a half stone (188 pounds). I want to lose some weight quickly. A few months back I lost over a stone and a half in about three months just from eating a more sensible diet, with hardly any extra exercise. Unfortunately this weight has now crept back on again! I'd like to lose between a stone and a half and two stones more quickly now. Does anyone have any tips about how much daily exercise I should do - and what types also - in order to lose weight healthily and quickly? Thanks.
hi there...

I prefer to use Tunturi or Vitamaster exercise bikes for conversion. They are well built with a heavy flywheel and good bearings. The frame is solid, but the handlebars may wobble a bit on some models Start prepping you exercise bike for conversion by removing unnecessary equipment. Most exercise bikes have either brake pads or a web strap that rides on the perimeter of the flywheel......
I think the point is that energy is being created and not being harvested . We need a commercial solution to capture this energy. Are there any stationary bikes out there already built that saves energy?
By ABBG
There are so many vacuum cleaner/electric fan/etc. motors being scrapped daily that I have saved some myself because I have intended to fit one in reverse to a static bicycle to examine the amount of electricity it is possible for one excerciser to create.
Doubtless this information has been fully documented somewhere on the internet, many times already!
By mariah22
Its still a good idea to produce clean energy and to help reducing costs on the energy bill. I look forward for improvements on the future, to get more energy, and make less efforts.
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Exercise !

I know there is nothign called Intellectual Property in creativitypool .

I had the same Idea and discussed it in another post. At the time I was the first to talk about it :P
Right you are!

Hotel offers free meal to guests who are willing to generate electricity
The Crown Plaza Hotel in Copenhagen , Denmark , is offering a free meal to any guest who is able to produce electricity for the hotel on an exercise bike attached to a generator. Guests will have to produce at least 10 watt hours of electricity - roughly 15 minutes of cycling for someone of average fitness. They will then be given meal vouchers worth $36 (26 euros).

The question is will there be a net weight gain to the guest?! ;7

Rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]