The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By synchroman
The internet has set information free to anyone who desires it. Intellectual property is going to soon become a thing of the past.

I believe the next step for the internet to help create a better global society is for a commerce managing database/search engine to be created where there is no currency and things are traded on the basis of desire. jobs are created on the basis of necessity. Everyones skills and interests are known by this database, and they will be suggested tasks or jobs based on where there is a necessity for their work.

Until we break away from the controlling and negatie power of an arbitrary money system (the people who control money supplies control the world), we will never be free.

Reward: Utopia?
By WARTORIOUS
This would never work; why would anyone be doctors, solidgers, layers, cival servants, cole miners, toilet cleaners, nurses, teachers, professers, Supermarket monkies when they can all get just as much from being profeshnal bed testers?
By troblodite
WARTORIOUS wrote:This would never work; why would anyone be doctors, solidgers, layers, cival servants, cole miners, toilet cleaners, nurses, teachers, professers, Supermarket monkies when they can all get just as much from being profeshnal bed testers?
becouse they would want to be those things, its a matter of shifting perspectives, if your view point of work is slave labour, or work(as most of us know it) for that matter, then you dont want to work... if everything works (as in an utopia should) then if your thing is being a doctor then you become a doctor , if you want to be a street sweeper then you are one and very much happy about that.

A quate by Oskar Wild comes to mind
Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do.

ps: the work database idea... ivan illich described something similar but with education in his book "deschooling society" check it out. http://www.davidtinapple.com/illich/
By MikelaB
Reward: Utopia

Absolutely! How lovely would it be to wake up and skip breakfast because you can't wait to get to 'work'? No matter what anyone says, everyone wants to be good at something-really good. Say all the glamorous slots are filled, not that it particularly bothers you because you weren't interested in them anyway. Who's going to take care of the sewers? Well, whoever performs that particular task is a hero in my book. I would go out of my way to use my particular skill to do or make something extra special for them so they will want to continue working in the sewer, just so I don't have to. This is how I imagine a moneyless society would operate.

Of course the people who are solidly against this idea would naturally be those that work in the mysterious and imaginary field of finance. What would they do without money? Probably get a life........ ;)

http://apocalypse-diy.squarespace.com
By FreeMePhreaky
Interested in the POWER of "FREE"?

Check out timebanks.org, a movement I hope to see pick up some speed in the near future. Not everyone is motivated by money and greed, some people still care about strengthening COMMUNITY for the sake of community.

It's a cool idea, and I think Time Banking can help those in need that don't have much more than their time to contribute to projects. <3

PLUR ;)
By jodonow
Interesting.
there are already such things, they are generally known as voluteering sites, where voluteers and people who want volunteer work being done find each other.
One of the problems still is that laws only allow for volunteer work being done for certain types of work considered "that contribute to the well-being of the community" which is highly subjective and ill-defined.
And, in EU at least, voluteers are obliged to be given boarding and food for their voluteer work.
So technically it's forbided to just go down to the café and start serving coffees even if the café owner agrees. both cause cafés are not seen as helpfull to the communty and the owner would have to provide boarding and food to you.

If one wants to open everything up for volunteer work we need to change the laws. Of course then it would be near-impossible to check that it's real volunteer (that no money is being transfered, thus making it a tax evasion scheme)
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]