The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By ftfmayo
After yesterdays post I came across an interesting fact in "The Complete Idiots Guide To New Product Development" (Yes, I agree owning a book with such a title must say something about its owner) Thomas Edisons' first patent was for an electronic voting machine. Congress was not interested, but I'm sure Edison would appreciate and support Mr. Silvers' post.
By minasmir
The idea of voting by ATM seems viable, however:
1: Do you know how easy it would be to hack into a ATM machine with the correct knowledge and equipment? ATM's communicate via land lines, satalites and networks. Therefore, they are ultimatly vunralbe. A government or Quasi Government org. would be able to hack them. ATM's are located in OTHER countries of the world as well, and through the networks are linked to American Banks and ATM systems, this INCREASES the chances for fixed voting, not DECREASE them as you assume that it would

2: Forget punch cards, do you know how many people have trouble using a ATM machine?

3: What bank ATM's would be used?

4: Would they charge the US government to use their networks? How much?

5: Though a good idea, technically the same problems that exist now would be present: including voter intent. It is dang hard to see what the buttons link to 88% of the time on 90% of the ATM machines.

If you put your website back up, let me know. I'd be interested in seeing what other questions came up and how you answered them.
By jackjohnson
> Do you know how easy it would be to hack into a ATM machine with the correct knowledge and equipment?

That really is the question isn't it. Will it really be that easy, or will it really not be that much of an issue?

It's too technical for me, at the time.

But I can imagine that if voting like this would happen, in fact if a lot more mass voting was to occur in electronic ways, that it would be opposed by some individuals. Because more power for the people means less power for individuals. Hope this statement isn't too political.
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Sounds like this would bring back the days of 'Vote early and vote often'...
By dythram
I think some fellow from Kansas got some very brief notice in the media by proposing this idea about 20 years ago, but I haven't heard of anyone else ever mentioning it again.   The major media is either censoring any mention of the idea, or is too intellectually deficient to recognize the level of general public interest.
--And I can't believe they're THAT incapable.

See my website:http://www.advocatefreedom.com/ then see page 3 for information about my book, FutureAMERICA?, where I address the ATM issue and some of the security issues raised, then explore many beneficial changes that could result.
--Including the ability to negate the danger now portended by issuance of "National ID cards."

(Also read my Open Letters and Commentaries, etc., to become aware of a few of the issues where improvement is unlikely to occur unless we soon acquire this power at the ballot box.)
By jackjohnson
> Sounds like this would bring back the days of 'Vote early and vote often'...

I would be talking about also voting on many other issues. Something I don't like about the slogan 'Vote early and vote often' besides the fact that I would support often voting.

> --And I can't believe they're THAT incapable.

I think they might be.

> Also read my Open Letters and Commentaries, etc., to become aware of a few of the issues where improvement is unlikely to occur unless we soon acquire this power at the ballot box.)

I think the problem with these things may be that they are too radical (or at least to a lot of ppl) and also presented that way. Perhaps especially the presentation is too radical. Then the support never comes.

One small note on sick secret messages: I'm afraid they are everywhere on the net, to be found on all premium sites. I wish other ppl would start to notice it too.
By jackjohnson
Well messages on sites that are not reprsented through the most obvious meaning of alpha-numeric symbols

In an unrelated context words above eachother in headlines, categories, etc can be 'negatively' associated with eachother, beyond the 'imagination' of the reader, to give one example
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Ok... how about some examples from 'premium sites'? Still not quite clear on what you mean.
By jackjohnson
well i'll give you the same i gave to Steve

on CNN: 'Hit Black Behind' above Homer J Simpson
tho CNN may be improving i dont know
(also the poll concerning Powell has 'no' in red supporting the 'yes' answer)

eBay's categories: 'Travel' above 'Everything', too dubious
'Dolls & Bears' -- too confusing
'Movies & DVDs' -- why not 'DVDs & Movies'

sorry 'bout the off-topic -- depending on how right i am it is a little justified
By sandlizzard
UMMMMM. I LIKE THIS IDEA. WRITE IT DOWN ( ROLLING UP PANTS LEG )

THE ONLY WAY THIS BOAT WILL FLOAT IS IF SOME POLITICIAN MAKES MONEY OFF OF THIS IDEA. CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN. :-b
By dynamite_rsc
I am agree with the idea but it is applicable to a third world country like the philippines. It would minimize the cheating in counting but can we afford it. And the biggest problem when the idea will be implimented is how to orient the people on how to use the technology.
By tulrain
all i know is that i am not going to want to wait for some slow person to vote just so i can withdraw money. wont work.
By Michael D. Grissom
STRIKE 2.999 tulrain (super hint)

BACK TO TOPIC:

I'll bet we're only about 5~8 years away from internet/TV voting options.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]