The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Sedgewick
Let us take a look at this vision. A larger door handle but moved to the centre of the door where a lock mechanism will push iron pins into three sides of the frame (the top and both sides). The pins are hidden inside the door and the lock could be formed to push each pin simutaneously(sp?)into guard plates inserted into the door frame.

Reward: To sing with the DOORS
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Nice idea, but why move the handle when moving the lock will do. There's a reason that handles are where they are...
By Sedgewick
Okay this better be good. Explain to me please, why is the door handle where it is?. What if your right handed?What if your left handed? The handle in the middle would accomodate both of us.
By Steve
My guess is that the door knob is on the opposite side of the hinge thanks to a guy called Archimedes. He proved (very early on, actually) that opening a door is simply easier that way and requires less power.
By Sedgewick
Maybe we ought to tell Archimedes to come with us into the 21st century already. You turn the handle an push, how hard can this be(or pull for that matter) depending where you are.Besides we are talking security and esthetics not accomodation.
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Okay this better be good.
Don't worry, it is...

Steve is right: putting the handle in the middle of a door would nearly double the force required to open it.

And no, we're not just talking about "esthetics." Fortunately, others have decided that there are more important things than that. The Americans with Disabilities Acts, for instance, limit the amount of force required to open doors. Other countries, such as the UK, have similar laws.

I think that if Archimedes saw this thread, he might decide that the 21st century isn't worth coming to...
By harry8balls
I'm happy with my doors, but I would be happy to try such a door.

Archimides in the 21st. That should be fun ;

Just one quickly set out idea: 4 mouse cursors on a (computer) screen. Wouldn't that be easier ?
By Steve
With a cat in the middle? Definitely. Name the cat "Archimedes" and the whole problem is solved. :-B
By harry8balls
:-b

I suppose so. Well.. what I was actually saying, is put 4 mouse arrows on a screen, and drive them at the same time with your mouse. Then you don't have to move around the whole screen.
Idea? I'm not joking.
By Steve
If you're serious, submit it as an idea, but please kindly explain what the TRUE benefits are and how it would work. Yet, I'm pretty sure that this one would end up in the "Mad Scientist Boiler"... :-D

P.S. Either way, please don't discuss it in here, this is a thread about door knobs. ;-)
By harry8balls
Please excuse for mentioning it one last time. I submitted it as an idea but there seems to be a problem with the transfer. I don't know where else to put it ;
(The benefit would be in moving your mouse arrow around in 1/4 of the screen. Simply less mouse movement.)

Sorry Sedgewick.
By Steve
Er, no, you sent it to me as a PM and I was rather confused as to what to do with it. (Thought you were complaining about having four mouse pointers on your desktop since you accessed the Creativity Pool... :-b ) Submission is the 3rd bottom from the top left hand corner.
By harry8balls
> Er, no, you sent it to me as a PM and I was rather confused as to what to do with it.

As an idea too, actually.

(Thought you were complaining about having four mouse pointers on your desktop since you accessed the Creativity Pool... )

Lol! That would be a funny mindscr*w to do anywhere... I think.
No complaints whatsoever about the site... just wish the transfer would've been successful when I posted it as an idea.

> Submission is the 3rd bottom from the top left hand corner.

Hope it works this time.
Sedgewick, you almost deserve your door after all this off-topic posting.
By Sedgewick
Eh, sorry it took so long to reply now let's just open the door,okay no hard feelings, right
By tolychok
;-D
I like that idea it would be very useful in dangerous and highly populated area i.e suburban america.This idea is like what is used on battle ships and would put the deadbolt out of business.However this would expend both time and money getting it installed.Great idea though.
:-P
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]