The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Steve
What I hate most about modern email times is that more and more people believe that emails can be simply ignored. While this is partly understandable and probably due to the rising wave of spam that is sent by machines anyway, I find it incredibly annoying when you really have a request or problem and are longing for an answer.

Two ideas:

1. An "I definitely want an answer" setting. Your email program will monitor if you received a reply to a particular message, and if you didn't, it'll send out a second mail insisting that you are still waiting for a reply. Such a second mail usually works very well if sent manually, but I find it increasingly difficult to keep track of all of the mail I have sent that has remained unanswered.

2. An "ignore me, too" setting. - Sometimes, the "I definitely want an answer" setting will fail. Some people are simply impolite, they won't reply, or it'll take them forever to answer. Then, all of a sudden, they need something themselves, and then it has do be done really quickly, of course. My suggestion is an "ignore me, too!" setting in the email program. Once activated, it'll keep track on how long it took someone else until they finally got their reply out, and it'll delay your own message for the same time span.

Reward: A free copy of the software.
Last edited by Steve on Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By icedestiny
well, what i think is that sometimes, you just have too many emails and just dont see the importance in one from all the bunch, if you dont get a reply is simply because people either 1.- dont want to answer 2.- dont have time to answer or 3.- dont see the importance of answering. thats why i dont really see a point (which is just my opinion of coarse, you are free to disagree ;-D ) also, if u crave for an answer, or if its mega important, there is a lil invention called the telephone, which is quick, fast and reply-assured :-D and about your second idea, two things. one, why would you want in the first place to see how long it takes a friend to answer your message? :-/ to shove it in their faces when u finally see them? and if your it takes as long to deliver your answer, it would just be like joining them and having them win the war, by doing exactly what they did to you, :-? wouldn't it? plus a good tip to keep the peace is "dont treat others like you wouldnt like to be treated" right? i think the best option to get an answer when it comes to something important, is just call 'em up ;-)
By daviding
Apologies if this is a bit of a shill (I make this software), but I use something called 'Taglocity' for this problem. It uses a set of 'tags' on the emails to indicate some context, and can be used to check replies, say 'I need a reply!', things like that. It's kind of like del.icio.us but for email.

http://www.taglocity.com

You can use it for free, up to about 15 tags or so...
By Michael D. Grissom
I receive an average of about 150 to 300 spams for every legitimate email. These are spams that get through the spam/junk filters. Before I ever go to any inbox, I know I'll need at least an additional half hour to hour of time just to pass spam/junk to the blacklist while being careful not to delete legit email. This means that I must read many of these spams just to be sure they are spam and not something important.

I no longer have the time required to sift through thousands of spams looking for 'real' email. Jeeezzz... I only get email from my daughter about once a year and recently found that the one she sent six months ago was missed simply because the subject line looked too much like spam.

This is something in bad need of a solution! I cancelled my snail mail box for this same reason many years ago.
By Steve
Michael D. Grissom wrote:I receive an average of about 150 to 300 spams for every legitimate email. These are spams that get through the spam/junk filters. Before I ever go to any inbox, I know I'll need at least an additional half hour to hour of time just to pass spam/junk to the blacklist while being careful not to delete legit email. This means that I must read many of these spams just to be sure they are spam and not something important.

I no longer have the time required to sift through thousands of spams looking for 'real' email. Jeeezzz... I only get email from my daughter about once a year and recently found that the one she sent six months ago was missed simply because the subject line looked too much like spam.

This is something in bad need of a solution! I cancelled my snail mail box for this same reason many years ago.
There are fairly good spam filters these days, but for your purpose, I guess the easiest solution by far would be to get rid of your old email address and get yourself a new one. :-)
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]