The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By stephan d
This idea is a permanet magnet generator (pmg) that is held under water by an anchor and rope. The current of the river, creek, or ocean drives the propeller and provides almost invisable noiseless free electricity.

Reward: clean air
By Steve
Just thinking aloud about the difference to existing river / tide power plants... I would assume that it's more economical to build a huge plant across a river rather than spreading single turbines all over. Also, those hidden generators might be dangerous (e.g. to ships) unless they're properly marked. Or, they're placed in really deep sections of the river - but that would significantly reduce the current, and increase the costs of getting the electricity out of the water. Hm... :-?
By FlatTop808
And wouldn't the turbine disrupt the local ecosystem? Not to the scale a dam would, but you're still going to chop up a lot of fish.
By stephan d
I'd cover it with a grill like a household fan. ;-D
By Michael D. Grissom
A really great friend of mine, Richard Springer (retired professor and neighbor), wrote two books on this alternative energy subject and presented the material to the US Congress several times. His favorite alternative is exactly what you propose -- using the power of the sea to create electricity.
;-D
By stephan d
A few months ago I started a job as a production machinist (cnc lathes) I could setup and run low rpm pmgs' in all shapes and sizes, collaboration anyone? Anyone? :-)
By aviator32
Have you checked out the Davis hydo turbine? It's sort of like an eggbeater inside a cement venturi that sits on the ocean floor. It turns slow enough (I'm told) that it doesn't harm fish. It's meant for tidal generation and has not much of a footprint at all. And, of course, therre is NOTHING more dependable than the tides.
An outfit called Blue Energy (http://www.bluenergy.com) is pushing the idea. Check it out!
By stephan d
Thanks, I will. !+)
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]