Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
By bootedcat
Hello All,

When I loaded a document to OpenOffice Writer and wanted to add annotation text immediately after some words, I found it difficult to easily insert annotation text with another formatting to multiple positions of the original text.

Suppose the original text is formatted with Times New Roman, Unbold:

aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii jjj kkk.

And I want to append annotations "123", "456", "789" formatted with Arial Bold to the words "bbb", "ddd", "fff" in the original text, to make it like this:

aaa bbb [123] ccc ddd [456] eee fff [789] ggg hhh iii jjj kkk.

Here [ ] means the enclosed text is formatted with Arial Bold, a different formatting from that of the original text.

In practice I want to annotate for much more words than the above simplified example. What makes my task difficult is that all WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) rich text editors (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice Writer, Wordpad, etc.) apply the formatting of the current selection point as you type. To change the formatting of the current selection point, you have to do extra clicks or keyboard shortcuts. And when you move the selection point to another position, the current formatting automatically changes according to the new position. This behavior may be useful in general, but I suggest rich text editors to allow a new formatting mode - that is to say, once you choose a formatting, all subsequent inputs will use this formatting, regardless where you input. I call this new mode "Pen Mode", because it is like choosing a new pen of another color/size and writing anywhere in the document without having to reset to this formatting again and again.

Best Regards,
Yao Ziyuan
http://babelcode.crazylife.org

Reward: Mention of the following in the About dialog box:

Pen Mode invented by Yao Ziyuan (coolspeech@hotmail.com), Fudan Univ.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]