Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
By conner c. cole
I actually thought this idea would not be possible until I read some articles online about some fiber-optic research a professor did on muscle-like fiber cables.

The idea is very simple. You just create legs that are larger than you and then the person gets into the devise. It would have a lock in-like connection around the thigh, which is where the legs move themselves with the sensation of the legs (this can be adapted from current limb replacements: arms, legs, etc.) Then the part from the joint of the leg would be all relexive, depending on the sensation from the legs. (The sensors pick up movement for moving forward, and the legs has automatic reflex to move in a way to go forward.)

draw-backs: may have difficulty with sensation of moving forward, backward, or just pausing.

Reward: like to see it get built and have my name mentioned as creator.
By Steve
What's the purpose / benefit/ targert group of the idea? Handicapped people? Just wondering, because a machine that moves your limbs would lead to a lot of injuries, not to forget the damages that arise from not using you muscles anymore (hospital syndrom). :-?
By Rishi
The US Army developed an exo-skeleton many years back. This was a light, and strong structure, which an Able Bodied (GI in the US I guess) wore or got into. Sensors on the limbs picked up a movement and just amplified it. The demo movie showed a GI lifting a truck stuck in slush. The limbs were powered by compressed carbon-di-oxide (Inert gas) cylinders.

If the wearer walks the skeleton just matched the speed. But it could lug almost half a ton load around.

Rishi
By Steve
Rishi wrote:If the wearer walks the skeleton just matched the speed. But it could lug almost half a ton load around.
Well yes, amplifying strength (or overcoming external resistance or weight) is something that should work if and only as long as the skeleton matches the speed. But in Connor's idea the limbs are moved by the machine, and the speed is increased. If I count together what I know about muscles and joints, sports and stretching, that should guarantee you a place in hospital, hence my question.
By treadair
A variation of this idea might be profitable to someone. I know a woman who currently uses a walker because once in awhile her legs give out and she doesn't want to fall. It doesn't happen very often but she still feels like she needs the security of that walker. If someone could design knee bands that would stiffen when they sensed a sudden change (sort of like airbags) then the walker wouldn't be needed anymore. The knee bands would give them all the confidence they need. This would make a lot of senior citizens happy. Of course there could be other variations on this theme too. Wrist and knee guards for skateboarders for instance. They'd inflate on impact to cut down on abrasions and broken bones. This would only be feasible if the wrist and knee guards were reusable though since they're falling down all the time.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]