Make suggestions. Say what you like or dislike. Feed bugs to the webhamster.
By Mills Chapman
The creativity pool is a fabulous idea - for adults. We need a similar one aimed for children. I am a teacher, and I am in the process of accumulating over 2,000 websites for teaching. That was how I found this. However, one for children does not exist, and research on creativity shows that substantial increases in children's achievement - across subjects - can occur if they are consistently asked to do creative thinking.

The Creativity Pool needs to make a version of itself for children, and then create a children's version in Spanish, French, Chinese, and other languages of interest. I enjoy thinking creatively, but I enjoy it even more when I see children doing it.
By Steve
Do you mean to say that the Creativty Pool isn't suitable for children? :-[ ;-)

Seriously though, what be the main difference on a children's site? Same concept, just different audience? :-?
By Mills Chapman
If you look on the left side, there isn't an education or "For Kids" section. Children might not have the conceptual-mapping skills to move around a website like this that we might have. They also might feel less restricted with their imagination if adults start critiquing what they say. Granted, there could be a forum for both children and adults, but what if there was one just for children-oriented themes that we might not know anything about.
By Steve
Thanks for the quick reply. :-) The reason I was asking - there actually *are* a lot of kids and teenagers on the site. Most of them are pretty creative and have a great imagination - most restrictions actually come from within, when they confine themselves to posting what they saw in Star Trek the other night, instead of freeing their minds and truely letting the creativity flow.

There are two types of ideas that kids especially like to post around here - #1 the hi-tech, pocket-size thingee that will play music but can also teleport you from A to B, and #2 the ultimate idea that will make the world a better place to live in. I admit that probably a higher than average percentage of those end up in The Docks, but in the end I believe there's still plenty room for inspiration on both sides. At least I'm not sure if segregation would do anybody much good, because the *focus* (intent) of the ideas is basically the same.

But then we're possibly talking about kids of a different age? :-?
By Mills Chapman
Steve,

Thanks for your good points. I foolishly didn't realize that a lot of kids and teenagers were already on this site. The filters that they have for sending things to the Docks or elsewhere probably help a lot. Maybe what needs to happen is that ed. tech. administrators at schools need to schedule lesson plans for their students to come to this site and contribute ideas.

Yes, I agree with you about segregating the kids from adults. That might not be too good. However, I just didn't want a 7-year-old to come up with an idea that sounded wonderful for an idea from someone under 12, only to see him/her then get slammed by adults who find all sorts of critical flaws in the plan (not realizing that the other person is only 7). Maybe there could be a "Wading Creativity Pool," or the "Baby Pool," where the clear waves would have a yellow tint. :-b

Hate to break it to you, but I'm not a continual contributor, and I'm leaving the forum. All the best. - Mills
By Steve
Mills Chapman wrote:Yes, I agree with you about segregating the kids from adults. That might not be too good. However, I just didn't want a 7-year-old to come up with an idea that sounded wonderful for an idea from someone under 12, only to see him/her then get slammed by adults who find all sorts of critical flaws in the plan (not realizing that the other person is only 7). Maybe there could be a "Wading Creativity Pool," or the "Baby Pool," where the clear waves would have a yellow tint. :-b
That one made me laugh. :-D

Travel safely! ;-D
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]