Gather feedback on ideas and inventions that you plan to market yourself, or find partners for further development. Remember that anyone can read your post, so don't disclose any confidential information about your project.
By Cobra
Over the past two days, I have been working through a new idea of mine. My idea is a complete design change for bike gear systems. Something that can enable gears to be shifted without the bike moving. If you know a thing or two about engineering, gears, or mechanics, I'd like to talk with you. I'm having a little trouble thinking of a way for part of my idea to work. Well, if you think you can possibly be of some help, email me (email removed). I'll explain my idea and problem further.

Being just out of high school, I doubt this idea will go anywhere too fast. Still, I'd like to see if its possible and if it works.
Last edited by Cobra on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 3BlindMoose
Im not an engineer but have had alot of experience with bikes.
Ill give it some more thought but all i can come up with now is
to have a way to shift gears while backpeddling. Otherwise somthing that is powered electrically with magnets might work.

let me know what you find
By greghill
Perhaps you could consider a method of increasing and reducing the front or rear sprocket diameter to change the gear ratio. This idea does not lend itself particularly well to a chain drive, though hinges between the teeth are a possibility. Maybe it would be easier to accomplish with a belt drive or even driveshaft configuration.

I hope that helps. greghill
By Cobra
greghill wrote:Perhaps you could consider a method of increasing and reducing the front or rear sprocket diameter to change the gear ratio. This idea does not lend itself particularly well to a chain drive, though hinges between the teeth are a possibility. Maybe it would be easier to accomplish with a belt drive or even driveshaft configuration.

I hope that helps. greghill
That is exactly what I was thinking. Ironically, a few weeks after I thought of this idea, I read a popular science article that showed this exact concept. This is the website of the bike & article - http://www.ellsworthride.com/. I found out that changing gear diameters is properly called continuously variable transmissions. More on CVTs - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt2.htm
By profsor
Many years ago they produced a bicycle with hub gears which you no longer see. They were totally enclosed in the hub so preventing the ingress of mud or water. Gears could be changed without movement of the pedals. A design based on these principles would be welcome.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]