The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronBurns
If you can't hear well or hardly at all then placing a set of head phones over hearing aids doesn't work. Either you can't understand it at all or you hear nothing but distortion and definitely not quality stereo. If we made hearing aides that had wires (or wireless transmission) to directly plug into all audio equipment then the hearing impaired could have a great full stereo sound and quality for their hearing enjoyment. Since you can't simply place head phones over hearing aids then you could have the hearing aid plugged directly into your audio for optimal sound quality. There is a big difference between ear buds for people with good hearing and the special shape and settings of hearing aides that go deep into the ear directly contacting their ear drums in order for them to hear at all. Imagine trying to use head phones and hearing aides? They just don't match. They distort each other, and the settings for both are completely different. Combining the direct connection from the hearing aid to the stereo audio sound of any device (music, books on CD, DVDs, computers, any audio, etc.) gives them an equal chance at enjoying experiences with quality audio from their audio devices that simply can't be avoided in any one's life!

Reward: To see that no one with a disability is ever left out!
By Steve
As far as I know, hearing aides are basically amplifiers, so if you use earphones, it would likely be the same to simply turn up the volume. :-?
By Rishi
Steve wrote:As far as I know, hearing aides are basically amplifiers, so if you use earphones, it would likely be the same to simply turn up the volume. :-?
Hearing deficiencies vary from individual to individual. One has to take an audiogram followed by an elaborate test in a sound proof room before a proper frequency spectrum for the hearing aid output can be prescribed. The audiologist then fine tunes the aid for the particular person.
The volume control can adjust the total volume to suit the ambient sound level. Of course, this is at the will ofthe user. Fullspectrum stereophonic audio is unfortunately not for the hearing impaired.

The modern digital hearing aids permit a rapid setting of the output spectrum to optimise what the wearer hears.

rishi
By Steve
Rishi, if I get you right, Aaron's idea would have some merits, provided that it's properly implemented?
By Rishi
Steve wrote:Rishi, if I get you right, Aaron's idea would have some merits, provided that it's properly implemented?
Probably. However, the output will not be too nice for those with normal hearing. With the modern computer based music systems it may be possible to load any music into a system, which can be fed the audiogram of the listener. The system will then output the music suited to that listener. Though it seems like making a walking stick out of an umbrella if it is only for just hearing speech. It will not be mobile too.

The idea of modifying music with a high end system does have merits.

rishi
By dontfret
Has anyone found a DAI cable that has the 3-proing Euro plug to the DAI boot on one end of two cables joined in a 'Y' connector to a stereo 3.5 plug at the other? That would allow us to plug directly into a stereo source and have each channel fed to the left or right hearing aid.

If not, are there sources to buy the Euro plugs and cut the speakkers off a set of ear buds and solder on the Euro plugs? If so, shoudl I be aware of any impedance requirements for the DAI boots?
By GPK_ENDORSEE
though this specific idea might be too hard, if someone adapted from it then made it more effiecient then people with hearing disabilities will be able to listen to music. ;-D ;-D ;-D
By dontfret
Sennhauser makes a 2.5 plug (KAB or KA for mono) to one or two Euro plug cables for $20. Even if this is just to get the Euro plugs for $10 each, it look s like a good deal. I imagine this cables, rewired to a stereo 3.5 plug with 330ohm resistors may be just the ticket for stereo DAI listening! I might just get an extra, cut of the euro plug and take a cell phone headset and swap the headset's earbud for a euro plug - voila, a DAI cell phone headset with in line microphone for $10!! Anybody see an electrical engineering flaw in my approaches?
By Steve
(Sennhauser = Sennheiser O:-) )
By dontfret
Thanks for catching the typo. Do you have thoughts on the content of the message, as is my idea feasible?
By AaronBurns
Give me a little credit here! Ha! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
By AaronBurns
AaronBurns wrote:Give me a little credit here! Ha! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Let's make Millions and give a large donation to Steve's site to have a patent Attorney go through all the ideas and patent all of the good ones!
We can make Steve rich!
Hmmmm...I wonder if he would like that!
Just one million dollar idea and donation and we will all be on the gravy train.
Why not! ;-D
By SilverGhost
great idea, currently there are bluetooth earphones out there and the technology wouldn't be hard to implement into a hearing aid body. Then all one would have to do is have and adapter on their audio device to transmit via bluetooth. The reason current headphones don't work with hearing aids is the magnet in the speaker causes interference with the hearing aid circuitry.
By JackOfSomeTrades
Instead of plug-in jacks which are so "last millenium" why don't we go with bluetooth or some such other wireless technology? I wear a hearing aid myself and have always thought that the "telephone" function was rather moronic. It picks up EMF signals instead of via the microphone. My current model doesn't have that anymore, but what I get both before and now is the same stuff I hear on my TV when my cell phone is too close.
My hearing aid also has the same modulating frequencies when I try to listen to my cell phone.

Honestly, unless there's a way to go analog with FM (probably better Idea actually), the whole wireless concept just kind of looses it's purpose because of the digital interference.
By AaronBurns
Any mini-blue tooth should work if it were translated from analog to digital then the stereo would be heard well.
I only wondered how large the antennas would have to be! Ha!
It could be a slight problem picking up analog signals since the recievers are only so small.
Blue tooth itself would work on a frequency that avoided interference.
Let's say a signal crosses over our translated (Analog to digital) signal then it could easily be corrected in real time with no lost time by modern tuners.
I am not sure but, the oldest technology of the type your talking about is the simple station signal search on any car radio. You simply have the real time correction of the signal when obstructed from it's intended clear path avoiding perfect signals and catching only the right one (Like the Radio) then the Bluetooth takes in the translated signal and gives you a 3-D sound as previously mentioned.
I am wishy washy on this discussion as it has been a while but, get back to me on the analog correction going into a Bluetooth product. ;-D
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]