The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By afhunt2798
Don't worry - not what the title may suggest. I propose a site from which members could share abilities. For example: I am in a band. We have made a record, but we need some album art. So in return, we search for an artist to some album art. The artist could be given our music free. Alternatively, a proprietary currency could be used which could be exchanged according to the difficulty/length of the task. This money could be exchanged for real money, allowing people to make money with the site. Bids could be made, with the task going to the lowest bidder.

Alternatively, you could help people by offering services free to everyone/certain people, with awards for the most 'charitable'. All sorts of services, from proofreading to instructional/teaching services could be exchanged. It could also provide a marketplace for independant music/films/literature without publishers etc.

Reward: Would like to be kept informed of any progress, maybe even have the option of collaborating.
By clarkie
hey i wud love to help u make this happen unfortunatley i am stll a kid and i dontt know much html but it wud be fun to help u make this website if u have hotmail can u send me ur email addy at clarkie.ryan@gmail.com and ill add u n we can tlk bout it
By karmab
here on the west coast there are different communties that engage in the trading of "hours" where different people can do different tasks for other participants, (babysitting, accounting, accupressure, car repair, computer repair, architectural assistance, legal aid -WHATEVER they are capable of) and the time they've spent goes into a bank that they can then trade with someone else. There are different values for different tasks but it is barter system. The feds hate it. Can't tax it. bugs the hell out of them!
By afhunt2798
Thanks for the input! I especially think that the hour-trading sounds similar to what I had in mind. Might consider starting a wider reaching site myself. Thanks!
Interesting idea. Anybody have ideas on how the supply of the virtual currency could be regulated? The ugly scenario I'm envisioning is Person A provides 8 hours of labor for Person B. Therefore, A should have some currency in his/her account. It would be vitally important to know that services were actually performed between 2 arms length parties. If someone were to create multiple personalities on the site and perform fictitious services, he could build up virtually unlimited currency which could then be exchanged for real services and/or cash. How to avoid a fraud nightmare? Ideas?
By bobmeister
Just seeing if I can kick some holes in this. First of all, what's wrong with plain old cash? Why go to all the trouble of inventing a new currency? It seems the only real motivation for this would be as a tax dodge. Thoughts?
By Steve
bobmeister wrote:Just seeing if I can kick some holes in this. First of all, what's wrong with plain old cash? Why go to all the trouble of inventing a new currency? It seems the only real motivation for this would be as a tax dodge. Thoughts?
I think I can answer that one. We're living in times where a lot of people are simply pushed out of their jobs just to maximize corporate profits. As this game is continuing, I'm starting to wonder if our economy is actually failing it's purpose, namely serving the people. I've always been waiting for those who have been involuntarily sidelined to stop sitting around and being depressed (as is expected from them), but to get up on their feet and start their own, alternative economy. That's what I see in this idea. :-?
By DirtpatchSmacky
been around longer than hard currencies,, Its called the barter system.
By Black Armadillo
Hi afhunt2798. I think this is an excellent idea. I've heard of several sites that are using a system where you earn "virtual" money which you can use in exchange for services or possibly pull out of the system into real currency. As a response to bobmeister's post:
Just seeing if I can kick some holes in this. First of all, what's wrong with plain old cash? Why go to all the trouble of inventing a new currency? It seems the only real motivation for this would be as a tax dodge. Thoughts?
I think that "virutal" money is an excellent idea because in our current digital world people of increasingly younger ages can provide services to people, yet may not want to have to deal with setting up bank accounts in order to be able to accept checks or what have you. The money end of this system seems like it would work somewhat like the currency system in the game Second Life (http://secondlife.com/whatis/marketplace.php).
By thedoc7777
check out the red paper clip guy from CNN, he started with a red paper clip and in a year and 14 trades got up to a house, go to google and search for red paper clip guy, his use of publicity as well as marketing his story online and in the news allowed him to create an excitement which helped fuel his trading. some of his trades included a day with alice cooper for a kiss snow globe which he traded to a movie producer for a part in a movie which he finally traded to a town for a house. def check it out, just shows how an idea is bigger than we think
By afhunt2798
Sorry - ages since i checked this thread - thanks for all your ideas. I stick by the virtual currency (yes - fraud issues would have to be ironed out somehow) even if its idealistic. Realistically, it's a bit arbitrary as I don't have the resources (time nor money) to realise such an idea, but it raises some interesting points. Thanks!
By Bizzyjob
I created a site simliar to what you're looking for, it allows for people to browse for available side jobs in their area, post work they need completed, or advertise their service Locally for Free! Currently the site is allowing registrations, and will launch for Beta Test soon. I think this will be a great tool for those who are looking to make some extra cash on the weekends or need help finishing a project.

Check out my site at http://www.bizzyjob.com and if you feel that it may help you, go ahead and register.
By petersnoboard93
This sounds like a very good idea. I have been trying to see if there are any websites like this out there, but i can't find anything. Im not sure what to call the website or what to google. If any one has any ideas of what to search it would be greatly appreciated. I will share what ever i come up with. Please Help!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]