The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By kessmann1
Many persons have had their optic nerves severly damaged from Glaucoma so that eyesight has been lost. My idea is to insert photo electric cells in front of the damaged nerves to collect the light coming through the front of the eye. A chip inserted in maybe the neck would take these light beams and convert them to a signal format compatible with the output of the optic nerve to the brain. Hence, the damaged nerve is bypassed but its function is performed by the photo electric cells and the chip.

Reward: Glaucoma victims regaining their sight. Being able to use this device if I go blind from my advanced glaucoma.
By DirtpatchSmacky
theres an odd phenomenon that would make this an extremely hard task. two people can be looking at the exact same thing, but thier eyes send a differant "signal" to thier brains, yet the brains then interpret the signal and decode them as the same image. sight doesnt happen in the eyes, it happens in the brain, the eyes are trained to send the signals that the brain associates with certain images. so say were both looking at the same tree, my eyes send signal "1" to my brain and my brain forms the image of a tree, your eyes send signal "2" to your brain, but you brain then forms the image of the same tree. this delves into the world of quantum mechanics and how our reality is based on who we are individually. at this point it would be entirelly out of human reach to develop a device that could codify images tailored to a specific brain.
By DirtpatchSmacky
I must folow up my previous statement. this has actually been done! the patient can only see differances in light, but after a "training" period, was able to identify some basic shapes and objects.
heres a link to an article i found about it.
http://www.miti.gov.mt/docs/optivipprojectprofile.pdf
i had found another one but i forgot to book mark it, it basiclly stated that after a protracted learning period, the patients brain actually rewired itself to form links in order to "see" rudumentary objects. She was told "this is a square",etc., and her brain performed the nesscesary rewiring to actually see a square, etc. , again.
I wonder what would have happened if they had told her a square was a circle? would she forever see a circle when actaully looking at a square?
extremelly exciting stuff.
boy was i wrong in my original thinking.
By Rishi
DirtpatchSmacky wrote:I must folow up my previous statement. this has actually been done! the patient can only see differances in light, but after a "training" period, was able to identify some basic shapes and objects.
heres a link to an article i found about it.
http://www.miti.gov.mt/docs/optivipprojectprofile.pdf
i had found another one but i forgot to book mark it, it basiclly stated that after a protracted learning period, the patients brain actually rewired itself to form links in order to "see" rudumentary objects. She was told "this is a square",etc., and her brain performed the nesscesary rewiring to actually see a square, etc. , again.
I wonder what would have happened if they had told her a square was a circle? would she forever see a circle when actaully looking at a square?
extremelly exciting stuff.
boy was i wrong in my original thinking.
A child does not know the difference between a square and a circle. It just takes in what someone tells it what is the thing it is seeing. Afterwards its brain just does a comparison and says.'Aha! A square'.

Elsewhere in this forum is a thrread on colour seeing. We all agree that grass is green. What signal one brain gets may be quite different from another's. However, all agree to call it green. Complications arise with colour blindness.

It appears that philosophers of all religions are right. The whole perceived universe is an artificial construct of humans.

rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]