Obsessed by the improvements of StarTrek and the fourth millennium, while feeling restricted by the limits of today's technology or that boring second law of thermodynamics? Just let your imagination flow - you needn't be Scotty to beam your thoughts in here!
By Anantkumar
You must have heard about the TextAloud software for the blind people. For those of you who are not aware of this software....when enabled it reads out the screen text to a blind person using a computer.

Now if we can create a pair of glasses which sends a infrared ray and detects the obstacles in the path (just like the way a bat finds its way) and sends voice commands to the blind person wearing those glasses. I think this will be of great help to millions.

Please let me know if this sounds like a good idea. If you are aware of such a thing available in the market please let me know. I pass by a blind school daily on my way to work. If the glasses are affordable I would like to buy and donate them to the students over there. Thats brings us to the other point, if you plan to build one please make it very cheap :)
By C-Chamberlain
I had an idea to combine the autofocus of a camera with a freqency generator to give blind people the ability to tell what is near or far away by the pitch (high or low) generated by scanning their head back and forth across the immediate landscape. I looked online and found a company that uses a small webcam and a notebook computer combined to allow a blind person to distinguish objects near and far using pitch and volume. The wonderful thing is this company is giving the software away to help people (I'd watch out for trojan programs though) and all the user needs is to purchase the equipment noted on the site and assemble per their instructions. Their idea is a bit pricey for one needs to buy a laptop computer and all the accessories. My idea is much cheaper but is not at all developed... no funding. I don't know if this helped you or not...
By sammeli
One affordable (except for phone bills) solution would be using mobile phone with some sort of camera attachment and headphones and then use these great 3G video phone capabilities to send the camera data to phone company's server which processes the images and then send data back to headphones. (Server-side solution)

Some sort of special camera (radar) could be build if it is difficult to process plain camera data.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]