The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By myst1q
Toilets could be designed with a flush tank that has two levels - one for liquid waste and the other for solid waste. If level (2) flushes 3 galons of water, level (1) could be designed to flush half of that as liquid waste does not need too much water to flush.

This would save millions of gallons of precious water everyday in every home around the world.

Reward: not sure. but if this productized, it would help save precious water (which we take for granted) and save our planet.
By Kondor
This idea is already widely in use in Thailand and Australia and has been for many years.
By Michael D. Grissom
Now I'm curious as to why these dual flush toilets are not being imported and sold in the US.

All this just gave me a great idea for a much better toilet flush design that would use even less water than the Thailand/Australia designs AND do a better cleaning job at the same time.

The problem is that our current method of flushing is to start filling the bowl with fresh water until the gas trap becomes a sciphon and flushing begins. We continued to mix fresh water with waste water until a reasonable level of flushing has been accomplished. This is a major waste of water.

My solution would be to momentarily bypass the gas trap to begin and finish an instant flush and simultaneously swirl in high pressure fresh cleaning water to follow the waste and refill the bowl. This method would allow the least amount of cleaning water necessary to clean the bowl and eliminates the water now used to create the flush.

Something like this:
Attachments
Waste Bypass Quick Flush
Waste Bypass Quick Flush
ToiletNewFlush.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
By Kondor
I can't say why they're not being imported into the US. I'm actually from Ireland and just came accross that toilet design on my travels a few years ago. Incidentally, they're becoming widely available and used in Europe.

Now Michael, your design sounds great but.......there's always a but. The swing valve you propose would have to be extremely durable. I've seen normal flush toilets that are between 10 - 20 years old so your swing valve would have to last at least 5 - 10 years. Otherwise the toilet would become unusable for number 2's. I suppose a plumber could be called to replace it if it broke.
By Michael D. Grissom
Valves like this were perfected long before toilets were invented. It would be very easy to design this valve to outlast the toilet.

The valves in the car you drive withstand MILLIONS of times more cycles and stress that the toilet valve would ever be subjected to.

Think of it this way kondor; if you flushed this toilet 5 times a day for 20 years the swing valve would cycle about 36,000 times which is about the same number of cycles the valves in your car cycle during a 24 minute drive on the freeway. AND... your car valves have to do this at over 1000 degrees F.
By devrim
We recently got a 2 level flush for our toilet. I regulated the water fill to a minimum. We are probably using 2 litres of water for urine and twice as that for the bigger ones.

Huge savings wen you consider the old flush was 8 litres for both.
By iLion
These are terrific toilet flush ideas!

My idea was to inject a small amount of a bacteria neutralizing agent into the toilet bowl for urine (via a separate control handle). That would eliminate all odor and bacteria (could even clarify the water color), so there would be no need to flush any amount of water at all - until solid waste was introduced to the system.

Of course, this would save many gallons of water per household per day.
By riley454
In Australia we have have laws regarding dual flush systems in place for all new homes, or upgraded toilets, since 1985
By fullofideazmo
i'm curious how well the by-pass valve would work to keep gas from burping back up the line, which i believe is what the gas trap is primarily for -- don't want the whole house smelling like a septic tank.
By InventR
Australia got me thinking. Are toilets on the equator more efficient since the water goes straight down instead of in a clockwise/anti clock wise swirl.

Maybe Aaron's idea of opening the gas trap directly might work there.
By InventR
InventR wrote:Australia got me thinking. Are toilets on the equator more efficient since the water goes straight down instead of in a clockwise/anti clock wise swirl.

Maybe Aaron's idea of opening the gas trap directly might work there.
Sorry meant Michael's idea :S
By fullofideazmo
iLion wrote:These are terrific toilet flush ideas!

My idea was to inject a small amount of a bacteria neutralizing agent into the toilet bowl for urine (via a separate control handle). That would eliminate all odor and bacteria (could even clarify the water color), so there would be no need to flush any amount of water at all - until solid waste was introduced to the system.

Of course, this would save many gallons of water per household per day.
Neat idea! ;D

Now I'm wondering: does such a chemical already exist? How safe/convenient/easy is it to use? How does one get hold of it? :-?

:> Just think how useful it might be for training potties, bedpans and bedside commodes!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]