The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By JF2296
Although electronic trash compactors are on the market, they are more expensive than most of us want to pay and very noisy too.

I want a simple, manual device that would tamp the trash into a smaller package as items were disposed of and make the chore of handling household trash easier and less time consuming.

High impact plastic would be great for this product. A method for deoderizing would be needed and the container would need to be easily washable.

The price would need to be reasonable and the moving parts replacable.

Reward: I would like to have one and to participate in the development of the product.
By Michael D. Grissom
All things you mentioned are already on the market except for the manual compression. If the 'crank' were to operate a continously variable (on demand) ratio compression transmission then this might be marketable. This would avoid having to rotate the crank 50 to 100 revolutions just to get to the compression stage (like the newer hydraulic automotive floor jacks work). I had to repair my last trash compactor and after initial disassembly, I couldn't believe how simple it was. They should cost about 1/5th of what they do. I think if they sold in quanties like washers/dryers and mixers, they would.
By Boiler Adam
I was hoping to find a manual compactor that would work for outdoor use. Larger than the one mentioned in Boaters World. The idea would be to reduce garbage pick-up for the "garbage man" more than the boater or household individual. I would imagine that the money saved on garbage pick-up frequency would easily out weigh that of the conversion to these manual compactors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone seen products that are larger than the ones previously mentioned?

Thanks
By Rishi
Dear JF2296,
A few years back a device called CINVA ram was developed for making compressed earth bricks manually. It is an extremely simple gadget. You can buy it or make it yourself. I am sure that Cinva Ram as is or with minor adaptation can do the job of garbage compaction.

The link below will give more details.

http://www.saud.ku.edu/ngore/nilsweb/ci ... links.html

Regards,
Rishi
By Dragonfly
Very interesting!

However, for my garbage-overflow dilemma, I would just put on a cheap, rubber boot and stomp! $7-10 at most is my cost! (for the boot, I mean)

It works for me!

Keep the great ideas coming!

-Just a little humor from Dragonfly-
Have a good day :-)
Pretty simple job of Macguivering here....

first... get a cheap 1 to 1.5 ton scissor jack (as this is the same mechanism that is used in the 500 dollar job. And, mount a treadplate aluminum piece on the jack lift point. Bolts will be nice after drilling out the mounting holes with a carbide bit. Or, if you have a welder, weld it on the lift point of the jack. This compression plate will need to be the dimensions of the BOTTOM of the donor office trash can.

Second, mount it on a nice and thick piece of outdoor decking 1 - 1.5 inch treated wood. For strength only. Then build a nice open ended box about 38 inches tall, depending on the donor plastic office trashcan that you are about to incorporate into the design.

Third... using the top piece with the scissor jack on it, invert the scissor jack into the downward position and mount it as the top part of the open ended box.

Fourth...once secured with some serious screws, 3 inch decking screws work nicely, now extend the scissor jack to its maximum height. This is simpler if you do it before you mount it to the open ended box. There will be a travel slot on the side where the connection for the jack handle is, so, mark the maximum travel point. From here you will know how high to add the bottom plate on which the trashcan will rest. Allow for 2-4 inches at the bottom so that it will not jam into the plastic.

Fifth... now that you have the max travel of the plate, subtract your 2-4 inches from it and mount the bottom plate where the can will sit. Reinforce this well with supports under the plate. Now retract the scissor jack to its minimum height and mark this point.
Using a jig or sawsall, cut out the travel slot for the scissor jack crank.

Sixth... now, cut out a notched 6-10 inch piece of solid strong conduit piping that will slip over the scissor jack crank and secure it with a bolt thru the drilled out hole for it.

Seventh... now, using a prefab Lazy Susan top, (for looks), drill a center hole (halfway into the Susan top) for the conduit piping to rest in. And, using a closet rod mount, mount the Susan top to the conduit. If your rod mount doesnt come with a notch or nut to keep the conduit from slippling, drill a mounting bolt hole thru it and the conduit where it can be secured and the wheel will now turn the conduit which in turn will operate the scissor jack in the compression or return operation.

Eighth.... I made my front and back simple with a nice piece of 1/2 birch plywood to match my birch cabinets and some cabinet hinges. I stained it to match and all put the polyurethene to it. And, on a suggestion, i found some nice countertop that someone had bunged up installing it, cut out a piece to fit the top, and mounted it with Gorilla Glue.

There ya go... cost out for the whole project was 42 bucks.
I did have the glue and the conduit laying around, and the scissor jack i got off the internet for 20 bucks.

For those that wonder about the deodorizing system.
Stickups work wonders and they are about a buck for 4 at the swap meets.

Got questions let me know.

I have made about 10 of these things now and people just cant believe that its that simple. Should take you about 4 hours to assemble, after getting everything together and getting it all figured out. Depending on your scissor jack, you will have to adjust your dimensions accordingly.

Not bad for a boy from Arkansas. ;-D

Yes, were making a large wheel driven scissor jack trash compactor.
By abilal
Hey can you post some pictures of how you made it.
It would make life a little more easier.
Or better still since you have made about 10 of those, do you sell them?
By my1972ih
I have 4 of the manual trash compactors described in the amazon link above. One is in my kitchen. We have used it daily for several years. We also took one with us cruising on our sailboat and it was great to have aboard. Other boats were offloading several bags of garbage to our one.
2 are still sealed in the original box, never opened. They originally sold for $39.99. for simplicity's sake, I would sell them for $40 each plus shipping if anyone wants them.
By my1972ih
yes, they are still available. no, thank you on $70 for 2 new ones still sealed in original packaging. They sold for $39.99 when new and available and apparently are no longer available. $40 plus the cost of shipping by the method of your choice seems reasonable and saves the treasury money by not having to mint another penny at a cost of more than a penny.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]