Obsessed by the improvements of StarTrek and the fourth millennium, while feeling restricted by the limits of today's technology or that boring second law of thermodynamics? Just let your imagination flow - you needn't be Scotty to beam your thoughts in here!
By Joshua Nesean Eynon
My idea for speed travel was you could have a round tube and it could take you anywhere in a blank of a eye all you have to do is type in the persons number and you go inside the tube and your there at the persons house and for safety you would have to were a helment and clothes that are realy thick and for security you could put a metal circle that fits the tube and thats my idea.
By Michael D. Grissom
You didn't mention what powers you through the tube. Is that what you would like us to figure out?
By crazykev
an electromagnet of course.
By Michael D. Grissom
You would also have to move all of the air in the entire tube simultaneously with the person being transported. It would take a tremendous amount of energy to start and stop that huge volume of air. You can test this by blowing as hard as you can on one end of your garden hose (no kinks) and feel the output air at the other end. The garden hose will eat most of your energy input -- you'll feel very little at the other end. A transport tube would be at least a few thousand times bigger than your garden hose and would thus take a few thousand times more "blowing power" (energy).

Try to think of a way to accomplish your transporting in a tube while maintaining a constant air flow at your highest expected transport speed.

You can also search Popular Science issues from the 1960's era and find some great illustrations and articles about very similar tube transport systems predicted for the future. I remember them well.
By stephan d
We can do this if there is no air in the tube (vacuum), and with elecrtomagnetic suspension, propulsion, and breaking it could faster than any thing we have now. Racing them would be cool. ;-D
By icingbase40
Like the proposed Transatlantic tunnel. A near-zero vacuumised tube in which a magnetic levitation train runns at over 5000 kmph?
By Rishi
Michael D. Grissom wrote:You would also have to move all of the air in the entire tube simultaneously with the person being transported. It would take a tremendous amount of energy to start and stop that huge volume of air. You can test this by blowing as hard as you can on one end of your garden hose (no kinks) and feel the output air at the other end. The garden hose will eat most of your energy input -- you'll feel very little at the other end. A transport tube would be at least a few thousand times bigger than your garden hose and would thus take a few thousand times more "blowing power" (energy).

Try to think of a way to accomplish your transporting in a tube while maintaining a constant air flow at your highest expected transport speed.

You can also search Popular Science issues from the 1960's era and find some great illustrations and articles about very similar tube transport systems predicted for the future. I remember them well.
There is a mini system on the market based on the same concept. It works like this.

The user calls up a capsule (About 4" dia and 6" or so long). This arrives at the caller's end of the tube. A trap door is opened in the tube, the capsule door is opened, the object deposited, every thing closed up and the send command given. Low pressure high volume blowers propel the capsulee to the central exchange (much like a telephone exchange), where the capsule is rerouted automatically to the destination tube section.

rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]