The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By ballsz4156
This is an engine that uses magnets instead of spark plugs to create the combustion to power the vehicle. It works by placing magnets at the top of the cylinder and on the piston with the opposite polarities to create the down force that spark plugs do. Have the magnet powered by a computer to fire them in the proper sequence to keep the engine running. Let me know what you think. This is as simply as I can explain my concept.

Reward: To have The first 2 cars powered by this technology so I never have to pay for fuel again.
By ojsimon
As far as ui understand this concept, this is how the electric motor works. maybe i missed something, could you explain in more detail
By Michael D. Grissom
He's right, that's exactly like an electric motor works, however, I think I know what your train of thought is and your "mag motor" would actually work if you reduced the stroke (stroke is the distance the pistons move up and down) of the engine to about 1/2" or less. Your mag motor wouldn't be nearly as efficient as a standard electric motor that turns in a smooth circle because your motor would have to use a lot of energy to power the reciprocating mass and friction of the piston(s), crankshaft, and bearings.

If you like working with magnets and motor/engine concepts, I recommend redirecting your thoughts toward Magnetic Levitation Motors (Google keywords: "mag lev" or "magnetic levitation" or "mag lev motor" or "mag lev train" , always using the quotes). When "Super Conductivity" is achieved at room temperature and above, I believe that magnetic levitation motors will be used almost exclusively in all electric motors including electric cars, trains, planes, appliances, and just about everything else you can imagine. Magnetic levitation is already powering commuter trains in Germany (conventional) and Japan (super conductive) and I believe that MAG LEV is the wave of the future with hundreds if not thousands of inventions needed in this area.

If you are really intent on converting a reciprocating engine into an electrical one, use a single piston .049 model airplane 2-stroke engine. It already has the correct stroke for a magnetic conversion. Add the propeller and a stand with batteries and it'll make a great conversation piece for your desk. ;D
By trum4n
He's thinking of something i've been tossing around. Think of the piston as a perm. Magnet.
The cylinder sleeve would be a wire coil.
It works like a speaker. It is pushed up and down with AC of a set frequency.
Hook 8 of these together on a crank and see if its more efficient then a Perm.Magnet D/C motor.
By DreadEngineer
My guess is that it would be roughly the same efficiency as a permanent magnet DC motor, but you would then have to convert the linear motion into rotation, producing added friction and mechanical complexity. DC motors are pretty efficient already.
By dacohen
trum4n wrote:He's thinking of something i've been tossing around. Think of the piston as a perm. Magnet.
The cylinder sleeve would be a wire coil.
It works like a speaker. It is pushed up and down with AC of a set frequency.
Hook 8 of these together on a crank and see if its more efficient then a Perm.Magnet D/C motor.
I would like you to know that I thought the same thing when I read it, and I have done this in a science project entitled "Development of a Compound Electrical Generator." With it, I have won the regional science fair, and am going to Reno, NV to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.

I have it set up as a device that recharges a hybrid car battery any time the engine is running--it can be used in addition to (not instead of) the electric motor. When not being used to move the car, the electric motor is used in reverse--it works as a generator to charge the battery. The idea of this is that it will recharge the battery faster, so you spend less time using the gasoline engine and therefore use less fossil fuels.

David Cohen
By zonads
dacohen wrote:
I would like you to know that I thought the same thing when I read it, and I have done this in a science project entitled "Development of a Compound Electrical Generator." With it, I have won the regional science fair, and am going to Reno, NV to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.

I have it set up as a device that recharges a hybrid car battery any time the engine is running--it can be used in addition to (not instead of) the electric motor. When not being used to move the car, the electric motor is used in reverse--it works as a generator to charge the battery. The idea of this is that it will recharge the battery faster, so you spend less time using the gasoline engine and therefore use less fossil fuels.

David Cohen
David,

I saw you on the June 25th episode of the tonight show with Conan. Your project looks very promising, keep up the hard work!
By dacohen
David,

I saw you on the June 25th episode of the tonight show with Conan. Your project looks very promising, keep up the hard work!
Yup, that was me. Thanks a lot!
By swimmer
Interresting Idea .

The car engine is always left runnign on an rpm of 1000 while the car is not rolling . There isn a loss of energy in that. Adding coils aroung the moving crank would restore part of that lost energy in a batterie.
By Richard_Weighill
The image your description put in my mind is that of a standard piston style engine with magnets in the ends of the cylinders and pistons. I'm sure there would be a better system but, working with that idea, I would make the magnets at the cylinder ends electromagnets and set them to reverse polarity during the cycle so they are drawn up and then pushed down. I think this would improve performance a great deal.

Question: Could this system be used in conjuntion with combustion?
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]