The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Rishi
Biggofwi wrote:You a scientist or something? thanks for correcting me, at least i know it sinks though.
My apologies for sounding rather academic. Difficult to get out of the habit after 46 years of teaching science. Shall try to do better in future.

rishi
By Stewie123
They do have glasses that have 2 layers and water is inbetween them. You just place those in the freezer, the water freazes and gives a coating of ice all around the glass.
By erix123
If the ice is at the bottom it will cool the botom first and take some time to cool the top. The person drinking without this will have to deal with the ice but the ice is floating so the liquid at or close to surface will be cooled first and can drink a cool drink faster.
By erix123
Forgot to mention that if the drink is already cold the liquid at or close to the surface will heat up faster since the ice is at the bottom. You have a good idea but there are things that are used to avoid ice like cups that freeze or get cold or artificial ice cubes. I personally try to avoid ice sometimes because it can be dirty and it waters down my drinks.
By JustAnObserver
Well, the problem of that cold water falling to the bottom of the glass and the bad, mean nasty old cold ice floating to the top is a problem, but there is an answer, it is quick, easy and you can probably do it for free.

The solution is easy and you can reuse it over and over. There is no extra cost and is very small, light and comes in a selection of colors.

Have you guessed what it is????

You really can find them in any restaurant or store, even the dollar stores have them. This item is more common then the McRib sandwhich. What a dumb system to offer it for 20 days then take off the market for a year. But poor marketing at this franchise can be discussed another time.

Still wondering what it is????

It is used all over the country. I have only found one Eco friendly restaurant that would not serve them. They used to be made of paper, but the industry changed to plastic because it was cheaper, even though they can exist in land fills forever unless the user recycles them.

This item has the ability to pass the ice cubes and get access to the cold drink at the bottom of the cup. Your lips need never touch the cold ice cubes that float at the top, cooling the warm drink to an enjoyable temperature.

Last chance to guess.

Available in different lengths and come thin to large depending on your mood or the drink being ingested.
The simplest answer to this thought, and guess what, it is already in mass use so we don't have to re-invent the wheel. This invention is called a drink STRAW

JAO
By Serenity495
JustAnObserver wrote:Well, the problem of that cold water falling to the bottom of the glass and the bad, mean nasty old cold ice floating to the top is a problem, but there is an answer, it is quick, easy and you can probably do it for free.

The solution is easy and you can reuse it over and over. There is no extra cost and is very small, light and comes in a selection of colors.

Have you guessed what it is????

You really can find them in any restaurant or store, even the dollar stores have them. This item is more common then the McRib sandwhich. What a dumb system to offer it for 20 days then take off the market for a year. But poor marketing at this franchise can be discussed another time.

Still wondering what it is????

It is used all over the country. I have only found one Eco friendly restaurant that would not serve them. They used to be made of paper, but the industry changed to plastic because it was cheaper, even though they can exist in land fills forever unless the user recycles them.

This item has the ability to pass the ice cubes and get access to the cold drink at the bottom of the cup. Your lips need never touch the cold ice cubes that float at the top, cooling the warm drink to an enjoyable temperature.

Last chance to guess.

Available in different lengths and come thin to large depending on your mood or the drink being ingested.
The simplest answer to this thought, and guess what, it is already in mass use so we don't have to re-invent the wheel. This invention is called a drink STRAW

JAO
You do know that the only problem with this is that it would detract from the overall enjoyment of drinking, right? This has been addressed earlier, when Rishi was talking about double-walled glasses. A straw, at least in my opinion, detracts from the enjoyment of drinking since you have to wrinkle your lips around a small object and suck, while sipping from a glass while relaxing your lips is far more enjoyable. So a straw is out of the question. Perhaps we could find some substance that could dissolve in the water (so it's something polar), something that's denser than the water (I have no clue how to simplify this part.), and is translucent. This is just for aesthetic purposes- Who would ever want to look at a giant purple block that clashes with the color of soda or something? And I think people would want to see the effects visually, just because they can. After all, most humans enjoy fireworks more than the Riemann hypothesis, although the riemann hypothesis is much more awesome (again, this is in my opinion.). So...yeah. Now I guess it just comes down to chemistry. Anyone here a chemist? Perhaps you, Rishi?
By Rishi
You can try this:

A 50% sugar syrup has a density of about 1.3 gm/cc. This is quite transparent and colourless. Seal this into a thin walled transparent colourless Polypropylene (available) cube about the sixe of a normal ice cube. The technology for this is known and available.
The density of the resultant cube will be near 1.2g/cc. It will sink in any water based (even better in whiskey-soda) drink. Freeze the cubes in the freezer and put into the drink.
One of the most soothing sounds is the clinking of ice cubes against the sides of a glass I am told. I have no opinion on this aspect as I am a teetotaller.
All your specifications are met. USFDA will also pass this that in the event of a cube rupture the only hazard is a too sweet drink. You also get almost the same amount of cooling since the latent heat of this syrup should be near that of plain water. There is of course the small matter of the sugar precipitating out on chilling in the freezer, which may render the cube rather opaque when cold. Not much of a problem since many ice cubes also look whitish from the bubbles trapped inside.

Cheers!!!

rishi
By Dorje
Not sure if this is still relevant, but there's a product on the market that solved this. While those cold stones don't have the latent heat to change phase, ice still does, and it doesn't have to dilute the drink if it's in a plastic shell. So that's what you can buy. A plastic ball of water - freeze it and add it to drinks, infinitely reusable, still floats for faster heat exchange.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]