The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Suzanne Shriek
I may have a cure for diabetes. If the body has an autoimmune attack, it attacks the beta cells and destroys it. If we don't have beta cells then we can't make insulin which we need to digest our food with. If we could have a beta cell transplant then we might be able to cure diabetes.

Reward: To see others like me not suffer
though i don't think it was a good idea to put this onto the internet.
By flanders
Islet cell transplants are what it's called, if you google it you'll find out about it. The problem is that the person being transplanted will attack the new cells and wipe them out too.

There is some other research into a "vaccine" (I don't really think it's that specifically, but it's used to try and prevent it) for TB. It's been around for 80's years, so health trials with it are already proven and it is taking very little time to develop and it's really cheap!

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=522838

If they can stop the destruction of the islet cells then you can transplant a patient and monitor the specific T cells that kill them and keep them from mounting the immune response in the first place. I'm not sure but it seems the real break through is in monitoring the specific T cells, they have to be pheresed out and measured to find the exact dose of the TB vaccine that works for each individual. They've known about the vaccine, T-cells, and type 1 for years now but they couldn't figure out individual doses that worked for everyone. Now they can monitor the T's they are right on the doorstep of curing type 1!!!!
By socratesOne
Diabetes is a behavioral "disease".

I could say that slitting my wrists is a "disease", but that wouldn't change the FACT that it is a DECISION.

I've been fighting diabetes for 2 years now.

You want the miracle cure? STOP EATING *beep* THAT'S BAD FOR YOU AND GET SOME *beep* EXERCISE!

That's what I'm doing, and...

HOLY *beep*!!!!

It's WORKING!!!!
By flanders
I think your confusing type one diabetes and type two diabetes Socrates.

This therapy is only effective with type one diabetes where there is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the cells in your body that make the insulin that is needed to utilize glucose. This is opposed to type two diabetes which is an issue of not having enough production of insulin based on the metabolism of your body (you don't have to be overweight, although that is usually the case).

This is an oversimplified view of the two diseases but it's close.

If you think of the system as an economy with insulin as the currency and glucose as the people needing money. Type 1 would be that the banks all burnt down and no one could get ANY money. The banks in type 2 would be open and working as well as they ever did but there would be a run on the banks every time you eat and they just don't have enough money to go around. Two different causes with the same effect.

To continue the analogy (I can't help myself!) the treatment they are working on now is like a fire department. They have figured out how to stop the banks from burning down in type 1, so now when they rebuild them they don't just burn down again right away. It's an infrastructure maintenance system. But the fire department can't help type 2 because they can't increase production or reduce demand, neither of those two things have anything to do with infrastructure.

I think my favorite part of this analogy that I've come up with is that in my head now I keep seeing the T-cells as pyromaniac, para-military, anarchists, insurgents that keep performing arson on all the "banks". My T-cells are characters from Clockwork Orange. ROFL
By fullofideazmo
flanders wrote:I think your confusing type one diabetes and type two diabetes Socrates.

This therapy is only effective with type one diabetes where there is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the cells in your body that make the insulin that is needed to utilize glucose. This is opposed to type two diabetes which is an issue of not having enough production of insulin based on the metabolism of your body (you don't have to be overweight, although that is usually the case).

This is an oversimplified view of the two diseases but it's close.

If you think of the system as an economy with insulin as the currency and glucose as the people needing money. Type 1 would be that the banks all burnt down and no one could get ANY money. The banks in type 2 would be open and working as well as they ever did but there would be a run on the banks every time you eat and they just don't have enough money to go around. Two different causes with the same effect.

To continue the analogy (I can't help myself!) the treatment they are working on now is like a fire department. They have figured out how to stop the banks from burning down in type 1, so now when they rebuild them they don't just burn down again right away. It's an infrastructure maintenance system. But the fire department can't help type 2 because they can't increase production or reduce demand, neither of those two things have anything to do with infrastructure.

I think my favorite part of this analogy that I've come up with is that in my head now I keep seeing the T-cells as pyromaniac, para-military, anarchists, insurgents that keep performing arson on all the "banks". My T-cells are characters from Clockwork Orange. ROFL
Dear Flanders :>
I love your analogy! :D I don't know enough on the subject to critique the accuracy, but it sure grabbed my imagination, entertained and informed, too.

If the smileys included one for special congratulations and celebration, or just 'gee, I really really admire your stye!' you'd be getting one right here from me!

Thanks for sharing.

Really. ;D
By LAKACrazy_Craz3R
I can't say this'd work, but that is a very good observation. I haven't learned about all of that yet. I can say, though, I do understand, and that's convincing.
By LAKACrazy_Craz3R
socratesOne wrote:Diabetes is a behavioral "disease".

I could say that slitting my wrists is a "disease", but that wouldn't change the FACT that it is a DECISION.

I've been fighting diabetes for 2 years now.

You want the miracle cure? STOP EATING *beep* THAT'S BAD FOR YOU AND GET SOME *beep* EXERCISE!

That's what I'm doing, and...

HOLY *beep*!!!!

It's WORKING!!!!
You sound rude, so go Firetruck yourself.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]