The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Jake166
Okay what if someone could create a self heating tire, that automatically would heat up depending on the "icyness" (I don't know if that is a word...) of the road. This would melt the ice making it safe to drive on.

Reward: Credit and a free pair for my car when I am old enough to drive.
By 1313
Not so sure that this would be a good idea. It takes a long time to melt ice, and therefore you would create a mixture of ice and water and thus making it even more slippery.
By dixoy
My Yokohama Tire does not self generate heat..When the track/road is hot,my tire really turns very how as well, and when its icy cold, my tire doesn't heat much as fast when its hot.. that's a brilliant idea Jake166
By Rishi
1313 wrote:Not so sure that this would be a good idea. It takes a long time to melt ice, and therefore you would create a mixture of ice and water and thus making it even more slippery.
You are right. A hot tire will make for a slippery interface on ice. In an extreme case, the wheel will just spin in place.
There is a bigger problem. Heat damages rubber. A heated tire will have a shorter life.

rishi
By Michael D. Grissom
Hi Jake166

Next time you're in the kitchen WITH A PARENT, heat the end of a butter knife on the stove top. Make it hot enough to melt ice but not a pencil eraser (what tires are made of) and then see how fast you can cut through an ice cube with it. This will give you 'perspective' on your idea.
By Jayuk
Whilst I see others have mentioned problems with this idea (using the butter knife as an example) surely the actual mass of a tyre increases its capability of its use. Not to mention the fact that self heating tyres (all tyres are self heating by the way they just use friction as an energy force) would have many benefits in other uses ie Racing. I am currently working on this idea so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jayuk
By Rishi
Jayuk wrote:Whilst I see others have mentioned problems with this idea (using the butter knife as an example) surely the actual mass of a tyre increases its capability of its use. Not to mention the fact that self heating tyres (all tyres are self heating by the way they just use friction as an energy force) would have many benefits in other uses ie Racing. I am currently working on this idea so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jayuk
As of now there is no escape from the deterioration of rubber when heated. You will only reduce the tyres life by heating it.
However, if there is some (as yet unknown) benefit in having a hot tyre on a hot rod (Racing car, I mean) it is a different issue.
By Jayuk
The current "tyre Warmers" available for racing on many levels (Sportsbikes, F1, Touring Cars etc) heat the tyre up to 70 celsius, yes this causes the tyres to deteriorate faster however the tyres only have to last the race.

Unfortunatly they heat the tyres from the outside so the external temperature of the tyre gets heated to a greater temperature than the internal parts of the tyre, this i would suggest causes greater deterioration. Tyres used during a race will easily achieve temeratures of over 100 celsius and from what i understand it is only above 105 degrees that the tyres really start to deteriorate.

If i could heat the tyre from the inside you would get a constant overall temperature which would produce less tyre wear and a more consistant heat.

Jayuk
By Rishi
Jayuk wrote:The current "tyre Warmers" available for racing on many levels (Sportsbikes, F1, Touring Cars etc) heat the tyre up to 70 celsius, yes this causes the tyres to deteriorate faster however the tyres only have to last the race.

Unfortunatly they heat the tyres from the outside so the external temperature of the tyre gets heated to a greater temperature than the internal parts of the tyre, this i would suggest causes greater deterioration. Tyres used during a race will easily achieve temeratures of over 100 celsius and from what i understand it is only above 105 degrees that the tyres really start to deteriorate.

If i could heat the tyre from the inside you would get a constant overall temperature which would produce less tyre wear and a more consistant heat.

Jayuk
The problem with heating inside out is the poor thermal conductivity of rubber. It will take too long for racing. If iron powder can be added to the formulation, your idea may work by improving conductivity.. Alternatively heaters like those used for defrosting wind shields can be embedded into the tyre. Who knows? One can design these to be multipurpose, like radial reinforcement as well.
As an aside, rubber deteriorates even at lower temperatures.

Rishi
By Jayuk
My idea would be to use the actual steel banding that is used in the reinforcement of tyres.

I am not sure if any of you have seen "Hot Grips" they are heated motorcycle grips basically rubber with metel rods inside that has a current running through heating the metal. They heat very quickly and only use around 3 amps to heat up.

Jayuk
By Thinkadin
I voted for your idea just because you are not even old enough to drive and your using your head and creativity. Good going jake166, keep thinking dude, who knows what you might come up with. Hope you get a cool car ;D
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]