The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By greatjay
I was reading a post by someone back in 2005 and some responses doubting the possibility of electric current flowing say for example from a phone charger to a phone. This is a revolutionary concept that researchers have already started working on and I have done some research on this and it is possible.

When two coils have electromagnetic fields with the same resonant frequency (product of induction of the coils and the capacitance plates attached to each end), current can flow from on coil to another or even from one coil to many coils. This is way different than radio ways, and as such reduces fears of people getting electricuted by the current. The current only flows between these mediums with electromagnetic forces around the coils and same frequency. In november 2007, some experiments were carried out by some researchers but they could only achieve electric transfers between devices about 7 feet apart. At least we know that the possiblity exists but we now need to improve on this technology to be able to leave your cell phone at home and still charge it a block away. This would mean a completely wireless world.

Please share your thoughts on this and lets improve our world.

Reward: partaking in any projects relating to this.
By Michael D. Grissom
NOOOOOO!!!!!

I just wrote one of my best responses ever and clicked "Submit" at exactly 2 AM US EST -- and I was immediately taken to the Login window to RE-login. EVERYTHING I WROTE WAS LOST! GRRRRRRRR!

In short.. search "Nickola Tesla" using the quotes and find he did this in the late 1800's.
By greatjay
lol....don't you just hate when that happens? I had once typed an 10 page paper and lost it all before i could save it...lol it wasn't so funny then tho!
i seached "Nickola Tesla" and found him to be very interesting in his many achievements. However, I couldn't exactly tell if he made any significant headway with "wireless electricity". I couldn't find anything on that.
By Rishi
greatjay wrote:lol....don't you just hate when that happens? I had once typed an 10 page paper and lost it all before i could save it...lol it wasn't so funny then tho!
i seached "Nickola Tesla" and found him to be very interesting in his many achievements. However, I couldn't exactly tell if he made any significant headway with "wireless electricity". I couldn't find anything on that.
I have been away from the pool for a while and for the past hour have been given the run around for log in.
As a biomedical technologist I am aware of the constraints on electrical gadgets on the amount of EMI they produce. Any large scale use of active power transmitting modules may create havoc with many implanted active devices like pace makers, deep brain stimulation devices, and such.

Some wireless pads with 70% transfer efficiency seem to be available.
http://news.ufl.edu/2007/12/12/charge-pad/
Rishi
By tsmith5253
You need to not only search tesla but search "tesla coil". The coil uses transformers to step up 120 volts up to over 1 million voltes but very benine to the human body he was able to light up even burned out florecent light bulb over 50 foot away with no wires.
By Gavin.Philips
I chatted with an electrical engineering student from CU Boulder recently at his poster presentation on this. They explained several different methods of wireless power transmission, including the commercially available pads for device charging. They had something with a focused antenna that seemed to work fairly well with less of an EMI issue than any cell phone. I wish I remembered the name of the project...
By cgilson33
some time last summer one of the major companies like intel or TI, i think intel, actually acomplished turning on a 60W lamp from around 2-3ft without killing the presenter or student near-by.

search for "wireless power intel" to find the article
By DoctaKilorad
Well the Magnetron tube from any microwave oven can be used to beam lots and lots of power. It's been done in countless experiments. Aside from safety considerations the wavelength of these oven magnetrons is just too large for me, making the horns and dishes correspondingly gigantic for a narrow beam set-up to operate in the transmitter's far field region. At close ranges of a meter or 2 a small horn suffices to do all sorts of stuff. Microwave oven guts are powerful, forgiving and just soooooo cheap and abundant... many cool things you can do with them.. Not precluding sophisticated and legal communications stuff. You really have to be safe when nearby transmitters and inside actual ovens. Or just get it over with and make a radiation suit. Control endless chains of microwave zeppelins wearing a copper suit with no holes in it larger than 1/10 the radiation wavelength, as a rule of thumb. Use the oven's door as a face-shield of course.

I've got half an idea to do a manufacturing run of "mini-magnetrons" simply based on the dimensions of the oven frequency devices. Hack saw one in half and look. See? Easy for someone handy to replicate that, even by hand starting wiht copper pipe, ending with crimping the antenna shut to seal the vacuum.

Does Anyone think they could just photo-etch a 20GHz cavity layer by lay? You'd get awesome heatsinks on them for free practically that way. Talk to me. Especially if you know what a cylindrical folded waveguid cavity entails
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]