The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Steve
Before checkpoints, there's usually a traffic jam. People stop their engines, then after a few minutes, they start them, drive a few feet, and turn them off again. Or they keep the car running all the time.

My idea is to build in a slight gradient before checkpoints and other places that are known to cause traffic congestions. People can turn off their engines, and if the traffic moves on a tiny bit, they can simply loosen their handbrakes without starting the motor.

Of course it will cost a lot of energy to build the gradient, but in the long run, it should definitely pay off. Also, when building new checkpoints, the natural fall of the landscape might be considered.

Reward: The permission to drive by without having to wait in the line at all.
By dosefuk
Most cars today have servo assistated brakes and abs therefore the food brakes dont work when the car is turned off, so one would be relaying on the handbrake to move and stop the car, sounds a bit awkward to me, especially if there is a large jump in the que.
By Steve
Hm... all of the cars I know have working brakes even if the engines are off and there's no key around. Sure, servo might not be working, but as far as I know brakes are still hydraulic nowadays, so no need for electricity or a running motor. Try it on your own car, if it doesn't stop and you crash I buy you a beer. ;-)
By dosefuk
well the handbrake will work as i stated but the use of the foot brake is very limited, believe me im a mechanic!!
By harry8balls
I'm probably overlooking something, but what about going up the gradient, being stuck in traffic?
By Steve
Don't know, I've never seen any heavy traffic after a checkpoint.
By ftfmayo
My power brakes don't work nearly as well with the engine off. How about a draw bridge type affair controlled by the check point guy, lift it up, all cars roll forward, level it all stop.

Or better yet, a giant vehicle moving: check point escalator. I hear escalators are all the rage in Cambodia.
By Michael D. Grissom
Where do YOU live? I've only seen three check points in the 14 years that I've been in Raleigh. I was unaware this was such a problem in other states. I always fly over any trip greater than 50 miles one way.
By Steve
Not a problem in other states, but in other parts of the world. Europe for example... ;-)
By ballwash
The respondents above are correct.

Most cars these days have either power or servo assisted brakes that are significantly less efficient when the engine is not running.

Some parking brakes activate a peg into a slot on part of the drive mechanism (gearbox or drive shaft) which makes them very susceptible to damage if the parking brake is used to stop a rolling vehicle.

Plus don't forget that your power steering will also not be working.
Of course, the ultimate solution would be to eliminate the need for check points -- I really live to see that day.

Meanwhile, existing hybrid and MagLev (Magnetic Levitation) motor assisted automobile drive trains already solve this problem. For conventional cars there is an available MagLev motor/generator that can replace the old conventional torque converter which technically converts the car into a semi-hybrid which would allow for electrically creeping through check points with the internal combustion engine off. It also provides regenerative breaking power creation back to the battery.

I'm currently prototyping my first MagLev invention and find MagLev has incredible potential far beyond trains, rail guns, space launchers, and mechanical positioning. MagLev technology, in my opinion, is a wealth of inventions yet to be invented. My current prototype is only one of about 50 that I can see as possible. I will post it here immediately after the provisional patent it confirmed (that means "patent pending for one year" in the US) by the USPTO (approximately two months).

Steve, the two main physical components of my MagLev prototype are two bicycle wheels without the spokes. Considering you've peddled more than a few thousand miles on a bike, you might guess this one. :) Hint: it has nothing to do with any form of transportation but it does have to do with a consumer/gardener yard care necessity/business.
By Steve
Michael D. Grissom wrote:Steve, the two main physical components of my MagLev prototype are two bicycle wheels without the spokes.
Horizontally? ;)
By Raikiri
The idea would not work I'm afraid, any energy you save when going down the slope you will of course use up when you have to climb back up again, you are really only saving pennies here to be honest - unless your car is extremely inefficient.

Also, to Mr Grissom - does your idea involve removing the need for both bearings and spokes and replacing them with two same pole magnets, hence providing the support of the spokes and frictionless rotation? Clever but not something I hadn't thought of myself ;) > next step is to take it to car wheels.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]