The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By harry8balls
My idea is that a person as s/he moves around the mouse, moves around four mouse pointers simultaneously and thus moves the mouse around less and has it therefore easier and is therefore less receptive to RSI.

The pointers move at the same time, in the same direction and at the same speed.

Imagine four 'squares' dividing up the screen. And each pointer is centered as it is placed in the center of such a 'square'.

Now which pointer is active? The latest direction of the pointers determines that.

Happy pointing and clicking!

Reward: That you understand my idea ;)
By Steve
Understanding the idea. Right...

I have to admit that I don't quite get it. The sole purpose of the mouse is that you can travel from one corner of your screen to the other in a split second. What's wrong with that? ;-7

The whole system would result in a series of wrong clicks (because if there's a point at which the cursors switch, it essentially means that you can be never be completely sure when it actually does - and believe me, this will especially happen to those folks who already feel uncomfortable with the conventional mouse :-D ). Also it would be extremely hard (as in "impossible") to follow the mouse cursor because the one that's active changes constantly.

Imho, if navigation with a mouse seems seems difficult to you, it sounds like it's high time to invest into a new model and/or mouse pad. ;-)
By harry8balls
> The sole purpose of the mouse is that you can travel from one corner of your screen to the other in a split second.

Not in a split second. You can, but you will get cramp. In reality, you take it a little easier. That's why I came up with my idea, which is really a very obvious and simple observation, that would almost make you think MS had a reason for not implementing it....

> The whole system would result in a series of wrong clicks (because if there's a point at which the cursors switch, it essentially means that you can be never be completely sure when it actually does - and believe me, this will especially happen to those folks who already feel uncomfortable with the conventional mouse ). Also it would be extremely hard (as in "impossible") to follow the mouse cursor because the one that's active changes constantly.

I -- really -- think it will be very easy. That's why I'm waiting for someone to write a program for this, or a variation. I'm posting it everywhere. It's more out of shock that people hesitate. 'What?! We could've had this ALL along??'

And I don't think the directions will be an issue, and if, a (slight) variation may solve it. All I know is that it is likely the mouse pointing and clicking can be easier. And therefore should be.

> Imho, if navigation with a mouse seems seems difficult to you,

Hey, don't get me wrong: the mouse in itself is a great invention. But we always try to improve things. Nothing wrong with that right? I would say it is even our duty to improve where it is possible..
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Just four? Not sure that would help much against those mouse cramps. Better up it to sixteen... B-)
By jackjohnson
It doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I would have to try it out and see.

I'm happy with the way I use my mouse now, but I do wonder if the following simple things would help:
- no borders. eg the pointer reaches bottom and re-appears at top
- when a key is pressed (shift?) the pointer will not move so that I can put the mouse back in the middle of the mouse pad again
- when a key is pressed (shift?) the pointer moves twice as fast.

Hey: maybe the active one of those 4 arrows can be chosen upon pressing the shift or something. when it's pressed the mouse xy input selects a different pointer?
By jackjohnson
i also think mouse buttons click way too heavily. the same i think 'bout the keyboard keys. and those buttons make way too much sound. i think it is really about reminding the computer user and hir environment that someone is doing things. (are they good or bad?) i already mailed HPackard and MSoft and Logitech to please change this
By Steve
Silent keyboards to exist, but it turned out that most people didn't want them. Seems like the accoustic feedback is an important part of the typing process.
By jackjohnson
> Silent keyboards to exist, but it turned out that most people didn't want them. Seems like the accoustic feedback is an important part of the typing process.

do they still exist?
i think people think it is important they their every move is monitered. first you can have loud buttons and keys that still press down more easily. second i think they got those keyboards wrong in some way
By Tommahawk
I think the idea is not valid, due to the face that when 3 mouse buttons were the norm no-one knew what to do with the middle one. So they got rid of one button, now you want to add two more buttons. doesn't work for me.

You can speed up your mouse, or people with RSI can use keyboard hotkeys to simplify navigation.
By ReligionY
In Control Panel, you click on Mouse. You then go to the third tab to adjust mouse speed.

You can set it to move so fast that if you breathe out of pace it'll wiggle from one end of the screen to the other before your moniter can process the visual.
By Jack Nobbz
honestly, WHAT?

I think (roughly) I am with you. There are four mice cursors on screen. Each cursor is pointing at a different screen. you then move the nearest cursor to the appropriate button or area that you want to use.

That I understand. How, however, do you select which mouse you are using (say one is pointing at an area in a paint program, one is pointing at the close button for a program, and one is pointing at a text box in a program. How in a split second do you choose which one you're after?

This would, if anything, either keep mouse use at the same rate or (more likely) slow it down because the user is having to keep track of multiple cursors and actively choose which one they want to use, instead of simply using one and being able to concentrate on their work.

I think it was the seed of an okay idea, but it just doesnt work. Props for the effort, though!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]