Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
By Steve
Ideas may end up in The Docks for one (or several) of the following reasons:

- The idea isn't new. Possibly, it describes a product or design that is well known or similar to something existing, or it relates to a common apprehension which - although realization is still science fiction - isn't novel in any way. :~(

- The idea is incomplete or isn't really an idea at all (at least not an entire one). Ideas are also regarded as incomplete if the reader has to visit another website to understand what the idea is actually about. :-[

- The idea is based on a claim that is either unproven ("olive oil would make a great rocket fuel"), or, according to current scientific or common knowledge, simply wrong ("potato chips are healthy").

- The idea solves a non-existing problem. "We need to change the taste of coffee! ;-D " is a good example - do we? Why? There are millions of coffee-drinkers around the world who love coffee the way it is, and thousands of alternatives for those who despise coffee. This is not to say that inventing a new beverage based on the coffee bean may in itself not be a viable idea, but if the reasoning for a new invention needs to be invented, too, that's usually not a good sign.

- The idea is incomprehensible. Submissions to the Creativity Pool can only be accepted in English (sorry!), and any text (translation or not) should be at least comprehensible. Scientists are encouraged to choose a language that laymen might understand as well. :-B

If there's a problem with a submission that can be easily fixed, will usually post it under the idea.

NEW: Creative things you did at home (or somewhere else) now have their own forum section here. Check out the other forum categories as well.
Last edited by Steve on Fri May 27, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
So you're saying that my wonderful idea of a car without an engine that strmpgms without brzip herrings would land here?? :-b
By bsaw001
Well thanks for sharing these reasons. Now I know and iIll be aware if ever I get rejected :)
By stanyslaw
I think you all need to allow people to submit an idea regardless and publish it that is the point of this site sharing ideas! some people don't have book smarts proper english struggled through school like myself who can't type a book report type idea. whoever read them would understand the message of the idea unless they were blind! i'm pissed because the last 5 ideas I submitted was not like no other!!! people who read them would appreiate them something different and new just because I misspelled words it get denied the idea should be the focus. Well I hope those last 5 ideas they get added to the docks and i can view them on my post even though they won't be published.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]