The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Joel Sauber
I know DVD readers use a laser to sense minute fluctuations on the disk to transfer them electronically into a signal. So my idea is to have multiple layers on each side of the disk. You would then have to have a reader which knew which layer it was reading and could avoid the signal from the others. You would also have to have a disk made to where the actual fluctuations on the disk could be picked up by the laser, or could be looked through so to speak to the other layers. For instance have the marks about a quarter the width so the laser can still see it, but it also still has three quarters of the laser looking beyond. Some DVDs can hold about 7 gigabytes of information. With both sides having multiple readable layers, there is no telling how much information you could store on one disk depending on the layers. You could then store almost every song you have on a cd on one disk, or store multiple movies on on DVD. I am no engineer, but it seems plausible considering our technology abilities.

Reward: Free product.
By Lophe
First of whats the point of it? Why would a comapny want to buy this second of a DVD holds 14gigs of information not just 7.
By Guest
:~(

you may not already know this but many DVD's ARE multilayer. the laser focuses beyond the first layer to read data on the second.

secondly, it has to work this way, with data covering the entire surface, and a laser adjusting its focus to read each surface. Your idea was to make the data track narrower, to leave space inbetween tracks so the laser cud see through to the next layer. if we were capable of making the tracks narrower but still able to read them accurately, then we might as well make the tracks narrower and put the extra data on that same layer - why read between the gaps to a different layer, when u cud get just as much storage by using those narower data tracks to fit more of them on the same layer?

i believe the current limit is 2 layers per side. large capacity dvds can be double-sided, double-layered giving an equivalent of 4 surfaces on which to write.
By AaronAgassi
I believe that for vast multiple layers of data, holograms are burned.
By pooface228
Why a cd? you could use a cube of data if you could get the laser to see that way originally.
By AaronAgassi
Yes, quite so. Holographic media could be any shape desired.

Indeed, if only the laser can be aimed and focussed at will, then there will no longer be need for the last of the moving part in computers, the turn table to spin disks.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]