The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By tanweerali
Sound is a form of energy. And phones use cell/battery to run. They store electrical energy. While we talk over the phone we give out sound energy. We can have a small device which converts sound energy to electrical energy and charges the cellphone batteries while we speak. It can even be charged in a theatre, pub, discos, traffic signals basically anywhere with a decibel level.
By mekarls
Hi tanweerali,
I can definetly see your logic here but sound only creates a very small amount of energy.
I think that the real challenge would be to finding a method of turning this energy into electricity on such a small scale - if it can be done then I'm sure that there'd be much wider applications for this technology.
One possible method I could think of would be a very thin material that is highly tensioned at either end, if only the vibrations of that material could effectively turned into electricity ;)
If you want to chat with me : mekarls@optusnet.com.au
I hope I've helped.
Charging a mobile phone uses very small amounts of power
Imagine the number of cellphone users. Then imagine the number of watts used every day to charge one cell phone. Then, imagine the number of megawatts it takes for cellphones all around the world.

It adds up!
By adaminc
You wouldnt be able to create enough energy from ambient noise, most cellphone microphones only generate microwatts of power, the signal from the mic is then fed into a pre-amp, then an amp, both are powered by the battery. I would think that some sort of kinetic energy generation would be more useful.
this is a fantastic idea. but its near impossible. the energy created by sound is awfully low. honestly, how could sound so weak produce 4+ volts of electricity at a high millamperage needed to recharge a battery?
The idea is good but basically flawed.

If you are converting sound into electricity it cannot also be taken as voice for transmission.

Can't do both. That would mean taking some for transmission (reducing the level) and some for recharging the battery (reducing even more that small amount available)
By Rishi
It has been reported that if the sound output of a university professor for one whole year is converted 100% into electricity, it would be worth 5 US cents of electric power.
One may need many professors working full time to charge one phone.
Rishi
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Hey Rishi can you send me this Professor " Report " . I would like to know who is crazy enough to research that. :p

I am really sorry about this. This report appeared in the New Scientist (back in 1962 it WAS new) sometime in 1962. Unfortunately it is not even available in the archives of the Journal itself. Here is a link about the history of this publication:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... tml?page=1
Rishi
By swimmer
Thx Rishi

How about implanting a magnet in the vocal chords . And wrapping a coil around the neck ?

I know its impossible Healthwise . But it will generate more energy than the sound wave .
By swimmer
Thx Rishi

How about implanting a magnet in the vocal chords . And wrapping a coil around the neck ?

I know its impossible Healthwise . But it will generate more energy than the sound wave .
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Thx Rishi

If you can slightly modify the concept, it might work. Talking is called jawing away. Suppose you can harness this swinging jaw movement to a simple generator it should be possible to charge cell phones.
Rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]