The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By lookingforideas
This would be a manufacturing plant where they manufacture custom ideas. For example, a customer wants to invent something but doesn't have the funds to start making and testing their product. They go here with their invention and build plans, and this manufacturing plant basically manufactures the idea, and patents it for the customers for a fixed fee. They then allow the customer to profit from their invention on the market, and pay this manufacturing plant to build their product for them. Kind of ironic in a sense...

Reward: If I invent something, I would like a manufacturing discount on my products.
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Unfortunatly the "fee " would not be less than 50,000$ .
In my previous assignment as head of research of a federal medical research university, I did set up the same entity as a technology proving facility. Being a federal agency it was not for profit. It was a flexible manufacturing facility with clean rooms, various infrastructure and a dedicated academic department looking after it.
Any entrepreneur could hire this to produce marketable medical devices from ideas generated at the university with his own team without any investment on a manufacturing unit till he is sure about the workability of the device. The hire cost was usually less than what the hirer got out of the product.
Rishi
By astall
Something similar to a "inventors Factory" does exist. Depending on your product or device, it is a 3-D printer. I own one and they are great. Of course the cost to buy one is about $20,000-$30,000 plus upkeep. But we use ours 2-3 times a week so it pays for itself. We use it to create parts before we have them cut on the CNC. It just makes things so much easier, having to cut a metal part and then having to cut it again because it is wrong is a big pain.

You can have a prototype made fairly cheap. $50,000 is a huge over estimate. Depending on the size and number of parts you can have an 3-D printed SLA prototype for $500-$2000. Well that is pretty much industry standard. Now the actual design of the product is totally different, if you're not an engineer and have to hire one, then that gets expensive.

Hope this helps.
By swimmer
Hello astall .

I have few questions i would like to ask .

What materials does a 3-D printer use ? what is usually recommended as prototype material ? ( please dont reply by a link i want an expert opinion not sales inforamtion )

Is SolidWorks compatible with these 3-D printers ? ( i noticed 3d print option in solidwork. )

How is the cost calculated ?
By astall
There are several different types of 3-D printer, I have a Zcorp 310Plus.

The materials it uses is ZP131 powder and ZB60 Binder, both are only available for purchase through ZCorp. One gallon of ZB60 Binder is $560.00 and the ZP131 Powder is also $560.00 per gallon. It is quite a bit, but that's the way it is.
The cost is calculated by the size + the amount of binder and powder used and labor. As you can see the binder and powder aren't cheap.
For example a part that is 2" x 2" x 1" may only cost $200-$500-mostly labor.
but a 8" x 6" x 9" will use a significantly larger amount of material, labor and machine run time.

I personally use SolidWorks, but you can use Inventor, AUTOCAD, Pro E, Rhino, Maya, 3-D max as long as you can convert your 3-D model to an .STL file format you can print it. Also you have to take into account what the maximum build size of your machine is. Mine is a lower end one, with a 10" x 8.5" x 11" build area.
Accuracy is .02-.08. On the manufacturer website they claim accuracy of .005, but .........
Over all it is a good machine and does what it supposed to do.

I am always looking for new projects, if you know someone that needs some engineering advice or a prototype send them my way.
By swimmer
Thank you Mr astall .

I will be needing to manufacture protoypes myself but i live in Lebanon and its hard to find a 3D printer there .

I might visit the us in the upcoming summer and i shall try this new technologie. ( its new 2 me ... i know its more than 20 years old :p )
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Thank you Mr astall .

I will be needing to manufacture protoypes myself but i live in Lebanon and its hard to find a 3D printer there .

I might visit the us in the upcoming summer and i shall try this new technologie. ( its new 2 me ... i know its more than 20 years old :p )
A 3D printer is just that. It can 'print' a CAD design in 3D.
You do not have much choice over the properties of the "print'. It is good to hand around discuss features, aesthetics and to show marketing teams. It cannot be evaluated as a functioning engineering part.
rishi
By swimmer
Oh thx for the comment richi... i shouldnt have mentioned prototype... I ment a 3d MODEL . I need it to test it in the wind tunnel .

then after tests i will manufacture the prototype.
By astall
Hi Swimmer,

If you want to have some prototypes built there are many U.S. based companies that will ship to Lebanon. I can even print one out for you. As long as you have your 3-D model and it fits in the limits of my printer.

But like stated in the previous post, it is mostly for looks and fit, it would not pass any stress tests or high torque applications. But for some people that is all they need, to make presentations or displays.

If you already have the 3-D model done, another method, is to get your prototype cut on a CNC from aluminum or whatever material you like. There are literally tens of thousands of machine shops that have 3, 4, and 5 axis CNC's. And they have no problem making single parts, it may cost a little more to make singles, but it is a true finished part.

Best of luck with your project.
By Jonnyunotime
How about this: A person builds a large shop that is stocked with all tools and machines to build almost any invention. CAD, 3D printing, crucible, Mig, Tig, Arc welders, plasma cutter, acetylene torch, water cutter, autoclave oven, many types of work benches, computers, wiring tools, circuit testing equipment (analog and digital), rollers, all wood working tools, griders, presses, anvils, vices, etc. The shop would be heavily lighted and with every work bench would be several electric outlets and several air outlets to run various pneumatic equipment. Also provided would be a deep pool to test in and a large nice travel trailer next to the shop. Also in the shop would be a kitchen and bath. Once someone arrives to work on their product they would have to leave for nothing. A runner would be assigned to them to get supplies/parts that are needed. I would be in the shop to run the CAD and help on other projects. My I would be located in Oklahoma. Central of the US and 1 hour drive from 3 airports. We would also be able to test I'm any condition. Rain, storm, snow, sub zero, grassland, wetland, forest, trails, roads, dirt, sand. If something special is required for your build I would get it.

So, what do you guys think. Is this a buisness that seems viable. I'm not looking to get rich but just a cog in the inventing and possible future marketing process. Would enough inventors br willing to come to my place and building there product in my shop and paying me for my know how and use my equipment?
By Rishi
swimmer wrote:Oh thx for the comment richi... i shouldnt have mentioned prototype... I ment a 3d MODEL . I need it to test it in the wind tunnel .

then after tests i will manufacture the prototype.
Things have come a long way. Now additive manufacture (3D printing) can be a production tool.
Rishi
By mrf
I have thought the same idea. I think the modern process is out of the common mans ability to invent. The cost would break me. But I think the idea is good and it could be done if its just a proof of concept or rough model. Most basic ideas could be made by hand.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]