The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Siegmund
Replace marriage with 5 year contract.
Lifelong marriage is proven not to work out for a lot of people. So why not replace it with a 5 year contract to be prolonged by both partys on expiration date.
This way "sluggish" behavior on both sides will be "punishable" by not prolonging the contract. "It just doesn't work out!" will be no more lifelong sentencing. If it does work out you just stay together. If you have kids the terms of the contract will be renegotiated.

Reward: Be happy and stay that way.
By ImInGod
When the kids come along just "renegotiate" the contract? And how would that work?
By someone
Clearly this was a male idea...marrage is a commitment of love, and should not be given up on because its on contract...i mean really.... :-#
By AaronAgassi
<Clearly this was a male idea...>

Actually, it was, indeed, the uttra-Patriarchal church as created by Paul the late comer self-declared Apostle that abolished the year-and-a-day trial marriage that was likely a custom associated with goddess worship.

So you've got it all backwards.

<marrage is a commitment of love, and should not be given up on because its on contract...i mean really....>
By AaronAgassi
The concepts and expectations of marriage differ and have differed and changed through out history.

And if, "someone", in your Parochially of your Sexist codependency, you are, indeed, truly so confident beyond thought or question, why, then, do you post anonymously, instead of signing up?
By AaronAgassi
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."

-George Orwell
'Notes on Nationalism' 1945
By palema
[quote="Anonymous"]Clearly this was a male idea...marrage is a commitment of love, and should not be given up on because its on contract...i mean really.... :-#[/quote]

We should separate the whole love and lifelong commitment thing from domestic partnerships.

These partnerships are usually associated with homosexuals but I am a now-single woman with an under-employed adult child living with me. I cannot put her on my insurance because she's an adult. I would like to see domestic contracts available to any consenting adults who share quarters.

I don't know why they cant be freely entered into the same as other contracts and protected by law (benefits offered to recognized "couples" should be allowed to domestic partners as well). And I don't want the Church involved - I am not talking about a Holy Sacrament, just an arrangement.
By grace
marriage is sacred partnership and a lifetime commitment that should be engaged with when you know your ready to accept a responsibility and obligation.
By reigne79
Siegmund's idea is correct. I agree with his proposal on replacing marriage with 5 years contract because i myself believe that marriage is not lifelong maybe it is true for some but not to all. Through this proposal, the controversial issue on divorce will reach its end. Its not new to us the issue on divorce, many couple are ending up separating because of different reasons which would even affect the kids. But this proposal has its benefit if the couple still love each other they can still stay together because this proposal is renewable.
By leth
I dont agree what Siegmund's idea because we married someone to love not to hurt them. But sometimes there are so many trials thats why they separate but if one family separated how about thier children Im sure they are also affected especially if you have many children. Sometimes I believe that marriage is a lifelong maybe it is true but not to all. In one family reach each end but if you love each other you should stay together and nurture the love you had.
By palema
[quote="grace"]marriage is sacred partnership and a lifetime commitment that should be engaged with when you know your ready to accept a responsibility and obligation.[/quote]

I think marriage is ok as one option -- it shouldn't be the only option, however. And remember, "marriage" is a church sacrament. There could be civil options which vary from that model.

I've been married twice. Both times I thought it would be for life, but I was wrong, as it turns out. Why must all people be squeezed into one model? People are different, needs are different.
By AaronAgassi
grace, what is sacredness, why is it important, and how can it be tested for?
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]