Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
A standard "physical" and "logical" keyboard layout that could be used in all "reasonably-sized" keyboards (i.e., all but phone keyboards, and other very small devices). The physical layout would be the main alpha keypad only; without the numeric and cursor keypads in the full-sized keyboards. The logical layout would map the keys from those keypads into easy-to-remember key combinations accessible from the home row. It is unlikely that the "query" layout, designed to slow down typists to the typewriter mechanics of that time, will be replaced by the superior "dvorak" layout, but it is not too late for a "superior" physical and logical layout for the remaining components of the "current" standard keyboard. There are many physical and logical layouts for different computers, and although there should always be the opportunity for personalized physical and logical keyboard layouts, both a physical and logical standard is "needed," such that anyone can access any computer though its standard keyboard interface without having to hunt for navigation (cursoring) keys. The standard "full-sized" keyboard would be acceptable except for its width. It presents problems for laptops, notebooks, network environments, and so on. And it is a potential ergonomic issue in having to stretch for the mouse. One could remove the two extra keypads except that the cursor keys in the numeric keypad are critical to the interface. Those who are not qualified to do so are forced to map navigation keys to alpha keystroke combinations. This is obvious in the numerous different physical and logical keyboard layouts in use. Whatever we hope to gain by employing computers, much is lost if average users are lost in a sea of keyboards, cannot become familiar with one standard and are less efficient than they could be. An "intelligent" design needs to be "presented" to the average user. This is especially important as laptops, which cannot support the full-sized keyboard layout, become so prevalent. There are still many physical and logical keyboard layouts in production because none of them stand out. None of them are any good. They only "suffice" and few can see what is lost in not having an intelligent standard keyboard design. I would like to see a "superior" keyboard layout become the de facto standard. There are many superior physical and logical keyboard layouts: We need only one. Layouts that are superior will be seen by those who want a "keyboard" that is fast to use, simple and accurate; by those who already "keyboard" faster than most and learn most of the shortcuts but who are still handicapped by the current "inferior" physical and logical keyboard layouts. Obviously there is a potential for a high financial return in owning the patent to such a "standard," producing the first lines of these keyboards and selling rights to use the layout. There would be the base model and from there the keyboards would be capable of much more. The high-end keyboards could be individual "systems," storing important documents, login names, passwords, licenses to use software, etc.; something one could easily carry and plug into any standard computer. I imagine the smallest model would be very small, while retaining all the main benefits of a logical layout. It is unlikely anyone would modify an intelligent, easy to remember navigation key mapping but only the most basic model would not also allow remapping, have macro recording and editing and have on-board memory to retain those mappings and macros. Settings would be exportable to a jump drive or other storage device. If it is to become a standard, someone must invest in producing the first models. The keyboard is and always will be the computer's "main" interface. It is an under-rated computer component and few have realized how important it is (could be), so the potential financial return is huge. However, just another bad design is just another bad investment because it will not become a standard. Only an intelligent design (can be sold) has this potential.

Reward: 2 or 3 of the "best" models; able to use my logical layout wherever I work, to rarely move to the mouse to navigate and to do more in less time with far less keying errors.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]