This is the place for all kinds of brainstorming. Anything goes. From time to time, the Sea of Chaos might also give birth to new forum categories.
Deepika (disclosure: PatternReview.com advertises on this blog) sent me a copy of the new PatternReview book, 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips: Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teachers, and boy, am I happy to have it.

I love books of tips because they reinforce two of my prized assumptions: first, that no one is ever so much of an expert that they can't LEARN SOMETHING NEW, and second, that bite-sized pieces of information are always more fun than long tracts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for huge, project-based books (I think I still have a copy of a book called 'Make Your Own Mission Furniture' around here somewhere) but in my current reality, it's as much as I can manage to learn that (for instance) you can fold the fabric in the seam allowance perpendicular to the stitching line and clip notches OUTWARD, letting you have nice neat notches in curves without the risk of cutting into the stitching! (Which I do with regularity.)

Some of the other tips I will be using:

* make cardboard templates to make spacing guides -- I really need one of these for pockets, so I remember that the best spacing for a pocket opening for me is about 5 inches ...
* use fusible interfacing instead of tape to shorten or lengthen pattern pieces (genius!)
* take apart a jeweled stretch bracelet for gorgeous sew-on decorations -- they already have holes!
* buttons too shiny? Sand 'em down with fine-grit sandpaper or an emery board.

I really like that this book is organized by category -- makes it easier to find tips that apply just to the difficult project you're currently tearing your hair out over. And part of this book's charm is that some of the tips are really cautionary tales, of the "don't let this happen to you" variety -- who doesn't identify with a good story about a heinous mistake?

I also recommend reading it with a bunch of little sticky notes, so that you can mark the pages of the tips you want to try for yourself!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]