This is the place for all kinds of brainstorming. Anything goes. From time to time, the Sea of Chaos might also give birth to new forum categories.
Okay, I know what some of you might be thinking: “What? This is hardly a challenge!!”

I’m probably preaching to the choir here (after all, you guys are pretty stylish), but you’d be surprised how many college-aged girls are afraid to experiment with color. For example, a few months ago, a friend and I were getting ready for a night out and I suggested she wear turquoise stilettos with her deep plum colored dress — let’s just say you wouldn’t believe the look of horror she gave me!

So for this week’s challenge, go through your closet and find the most colorful pieces you own, and think about which color pairings complement each other. Summer is the perfect time to experiment with loud outfits, so go crazy and have fun! Are you ready to take on this challenge?
Tips and Tricks for Mixing Bright Colors

* Vibrant jewel-tone colors look great together–some of my favorite color combos include yellow and turquoise, hot pink and purple, and royal blue with electric blue.
* Consider adding color with your accessories. Bright clutches, turquoise or coral jewelry, kaleidoscopic scarves, and candy-colored shoes are versatile pieces that will add pop to your look.
* Makeup is another great way to experiment with color: Purple eyeliner and hot pink lip gloss are two of my favorite ways to experiment with bold hues!
* Be careful with the number of colors you mix at once. Wearing three or even four colors at once can create an incredible look, but I recommend stopping there. Mix five or more colors and you’ll risk looking like a rainbow explosion (and not in a good way)!

Example Outfits for Inspiration

Brightly colored outfit featuring a yellow skirt and teal top

Shirt, Skirt, Necklace, Earrings, Bracelet, Shoes

This outfit is perfect for a sweet date, warm night spent out on the patio, or a daytime family outing. Tuck a soft turquoise top into a flowy yellow skirt, then add a pop of pink on your toes with these adorable buckled flats. A simple silver pair of earrings and bracelet add balance to the outfit, while a pretty purple pendant necklace will draw attention toward your beautiful face.

Brightly colored outfit with a blue top, yellow shoes, and a red necklace

Shirt, Skirt, Flats, Necklace, Ring

If you’re a little wary of trying out this Fashion Challenge, start with a dark purple or deep blue as your base: These colors are more subdued (perfect for a less out-there look), but you’ll still get the summery, bold aesthetic you desire. For the look above, I paired a simple purple skirt with a bright blue cami, yellow flats, and coral jewelry for a look that’s sophisticated yet fun.

Brightly colored outfit with a pink dress, yellow heels, and a blue clutch

Dress, Shoes, Earrings, Clutch, Bracelet

A hot pink dress will look even more summery and fresh when paired with yellow shoes and a purple clutch. Turquoise jewelry is a fun way to add more color and pizazz to any ensemble, and works well in this look to offset the neon pink and yellow with a cooler tone. This ensemble would be perfect for a summer night out.
CF Reader Looks

Here are some looks sent in by CF readers who took the Bright Colors Challenge! If you want to see your own look here, read our instructions for sending in your outfit photos below!
Brittany – Northwestern University

Northwestern University fashionista in a brightly colored dress

“I’m wearing a dress my mom gave me that she bought in the ’90s, a Forever 21 ring, vintage yellow earrings from my granny, and a belt given to me by my stepmom (also from the ’90s!). I almost never, ever wear bright colors so this is kind of a big deal for me!”
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]