The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Sea Bass
Ok here's my idea. Whenever there is a war declared. The President/Prime Minister/Dictator/King/Whatever you have, has to go and fight in the front lines of the war. During this period of time the Vice President/Whatever will take over the duties of leader of the nation. I believe that this would force our authorities to give diplomacy much more of a chance instead of letting their military might do the talking.
By tulrain
Rule #1: War is usually fought by soldiers in their teens and twenties.
Rule #2: Elected officials to office should be situated in office and not the battlefield. This is not the middle-ages where the King was a romanticized fighter during a war.
Rule #3: Who fights after the leader dies. The queen, first lady, etc...or is it the second in command? What happens when he/she dies? Do we just dwindle down our entire govt.? By the way how is Queen Elizabeth II when it comes to fighting on the battlefield?
By Michael D. Grissom
Although idealistic Sea Bass, it's such a novel idea that they actually made a movie based on this concept -- only each side picked their single best soldier and both were dropped on a deserted island to fight it out.

BTW -- is there any such thing as a 'salt water bass' or is that why you picked "Sea Bass" for your cool user name? ;-D
By A_Guy_Outta_Ideas
While a fairly good idea, how could we enforce it? I may have missed the whole point, but the problem I see is that some leaders may not follow the protocol.
By Steve
A_Guy_Outta_Ideas wrote:While a fairly good idea, how could we enforce it? I may have missed the whole point, but the problem I see is that some leaders may not follow the protocol.
I guess that for once it's not something that can be forced on others, but a requirement that a democratic society can choose for its own leaders. :-?
By ZethEphdel
I see a few problems with the idea (sorry for being critital)
first of all, if all wars were fought between the politicians, than people would select their politicians for a different reason than actual ability to lead nations, but instead for the best fighters.
Second of all, we already have someone who is supposed to fight our wars for us, a politicain would become the same as a soldier.
I guess you could choose a national champion to fight (essentially the same thing) How would the battles be conducted and how would you choose who the champion would be anyway?
By overcaffein8d
the war in Iraq is not a war.

a true "war" must be declared by congress.

i suppose i would run away if i saw hordes of congressmen running at me..
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]