The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
The technology has been around for thousands of years and is simple in construction. Every year the United States experiences droughts in various parts of the country and severe flooding in other areas. I propose that a series of water pipelines be constructed all over the US. As an example in the midwest, this year flooding is causing billions of dollars in property and crop damages. If a series of catch basins were established up and down the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and then directed into large (minimum 10 foot diameter) pipes which can then be redirected to the southwest where drought conditions are present it would reduce flooding and provide much needed water to the southwest.

This I know is very simplistic but our technology today can do this. The cost is expensive but over the course of a few short years it should pay for itself. Think of it major areas of the country that continue to struggle with droughts and fires could be reduced with a constant flow of water from other parts of the country where flooding occurs on a routine basis or is prevelant. Since the two major areas of water shortages are the south west (Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico), and south eastern US (Fl, GA, SC) I suggest start building pipelines to these two areas first.

Today as I write this the Mississippi is flooding and dumping into the Gulf of Mexico billions of gallons of water that could be utilized in other parts of the country.

To cut costs most of the pipeline should stay above ground.

Once pipeline established many areas of the country could see significant growth in farm production and bring in new businesses.

Just a thought and I hope to hear back from someone. Is this a crazy idea or what??? Please let me know.

Reward: Just would like to get recognition that I was the first to think of it. Maybe name the first pipeline after me or a name I recommend.
I had the same idea a few months ago..yes it would be expensive but it makes complete sense..I believe the govt.could start a works program like what was done to build the dams and put thousands of people back to work building this very beneficial system.
Spending Billions of dollars to feed Las Vegas water for its fountains is a bit insane. Why do people live in inhospitable areas? If you live near a volcanoe a it blows and you die, you bad. If Someone is going to spend money to move water they should first consider moving people, or let those people pay to have water trucked in, as many already do.
By Jras
The government in australia has proposed this idea. We get torrential rain and floods in the north (Queensland) and Drought and Bushfires in the south (Victoria and New South Wales). So they plan to put pipes and drain the water in the southern resovoirs.
Butch / Jeremy?,

What do you need to know?

For this plan of action a community needs $10 million dollars to make happen. The 10 mil. mostly goes to advocate groups that can get 30 mil. in needed research/start-up grants whose data will be used to convince/leverage both the counties/states/congress/and the president. Note: they ALL have "potential" veto powers.

To assist w/ "local/state" political/territorial/land hassles or bureaucracy, one should piggyback beside many existing oil pipelines. Now one only needs to get states/counties to ok a couple of extra feet per mile of space. This is where cheap price starts.

Building the pipeline, while expensive, is easy, it's getting the "go ahead/ok" that is tricky.
$10 mil. to initiate, $30 mil. in research grants, 8 yrs., getting lucky, and big boss approval? ... and governments will assist with install price ... 10? billion.

Questions?

CloudThorn
I believe that such a system would be very beneficial. I think the primary objective would be to create piping systems between reservoirs first and foremost. That would get the fastest bang for our buck and show results. With the reservoirs connected across the nation early draining of flood area reservoirs could take place before large rain events. If such a system could be designed where the water itself creates a hydraulic pumping for uphill pumping then the question of being able to send water anywhere would be resolved. The largest question in my mind is how to deal with contaminated water. Would we need to design a filtering system in the piping system or would the reservoir itself clean the water over time. I think using this source of water as drinkable water is not the answer but it can be used in areas that require large volumes of water for agriculture and manufacturing.

Some argue that if you live in a dry place that is drought stricken it is your own fault for running out of water. That is a rather flippant attitude, I wonder how those individuals will feel with no Texas beef on their plate or California produce to fill their kids lunch pale. There is a divide between the two biggest political parties those just grows greater with every year, the main reason for that is we have nothing that citizens on both sides can participate in together and get a positive return from. Designing, building and managing such a system would give the people of this country something to work together on for once and the returns in water availability and a goal for all of us in this nation would be as great as the space program used to be.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]